When bass are the heaviest

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I was laid up swapping ice and heat on my knee yesterday and watched a lot of tv.
Bill Dance came on so, of course, I had to watch him.
He was telling all kinds of "bass facts" and in fact that was the name of the episode.
Pretty interesting stuff.

Anyway, he said bass weigh the most in the Summer, NOT in the spring.
I always heard / thought the time to catch the big girls was right before the spawn.
He said the largest bass are caught in June and July.
I thought that was very odd and the exact opposite of what I have heard all my life.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Well I caught my biggest bass in July, it was a 6-1/2 pounder. I always told myself I wish I had caught it in spawn. maybe I don't. Seems like when it is full of eggs it would weigh the most. Maybe they gorge themselves in the summer.

WTM

pretty much true. roe in a big fish only weighs about a half pound. on ky lake early june is usually post spawn transition and usually tough. lat june and july is a good month.

here is what a lot of people dont realize about LMB, they prefer water in the 82-84 deg range. this is the temp their metabolism is the highest and they feed the heaviest but not necessarily more often. in the summer is when the weeds come out and the bait is the most plentiful whether its shad or bluegill.

West_Tn

My biggest bass was caught in June. I don't think the time of year had anything to do with it, it was just a giant bass not gorged fat or anything. Probably would have been a couple pounds heavier in Feb/March.

Urban_Hunter

Hard to argue with Bill Dance… but I would imagine that "more" bass are caught in the summer, therefore bigger bass are caught in the summer. I would think an individual large bass would weigh more in the spring. My personal best was caught mid March, nasty day, flipping a jig into crappie bushes

Latest posts