• Help Support TNDeer:

what's your favourite hunting dog and why

stonegraham

My personal favorite hunting dog is the German Shorthaired Pointer. They are the most versatile breed in my opinion their style and grace are topped by none in my opinion. The only con I could ever complain about is the hyper fits of non stop energy. I operate a small kennel in Illinois and have a great success. I breed for results not $. The dog below is Rooster my male.

Attachments

• IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4467 (002).jpg
    IMG_4467 (002).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 48

gtk

Administrator
Staff member
I don't "own" one, but i've pheasant hunted behind a breed called "pudel pointers". cross between a poodle and pointer. dogs were the perfect size and had a drive to hunt/retriev like i've never seen except in a lab.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

7mm08

I like gun dogs better than humans...... GSP ‘s or WPG (griffs) . Unfortunately, my knee died 4 months after I got my Griff and it had to be replaced. No grouse for her but she is hell on yard birds, chipmunks, and lizards. Ha! Water retrieves like a crazy gal.

7mm08

My personal favorite hunting dog is the German Shorthaired Pointer. They are the most versatile breed in my opinion their style and grace are topped by none in my opinion. The only con I could ever complain about is the hyper fits of non stop energy. I operate a small kennel in Illinois and have a great success. I breed for results not $. The dog below is Rooster my male.
Beautiful. Love his big block muzzle. Thanks for docking the tail! Sad to see these dogs have become so popular and there are a lot of backyard breeders. I had my girl for 16 years. Hell on grouse

I went to a shooting farm ( quail) in GA one time for fun. The old man saw me open me tailgate and Maggie was in her kennel. He yelled to another guy “ HE’s got a German!” My son and I shot 20birds over her that day. Awesome time. They have such a switch that turns on instantly.

Acorn

Supporter
I’m a beagle guy! I grew up hunting rabbits with a family friend that had about 15 or so. He would give me one when I was twelve. I trained him how I was told to and we hunted by ourselves a lot but I would still hunt with that man from time to time. That man said that dog turned out to be one of the best beagles he ever hunted with. I hunted that dog until I was around 23 before he died. I didn’t rabbit hunt for a long time after that. I met a guy at work about 7 years ago and he ask me if I knew of a place he could rabbit hunt. I said yes I have a place. He invited my boy and I to go along and hunt. My son had a great time and wanted to go again. So we went with those boys a few more times and I got to wanting some beagles. I got a pair and still have them to this day. I love hearing those beagles run a rabbit. Now all three of my boys go rabbit hunting with me. It’s a Tradition!

jameseboy

Depends on what your hunting...Grew up hunting rabbit and pheasant...our dog was a mix cocker spaniel and wire haired terrior...a real hunter would have looked down her nose at her but she was great.. she had a different bark for rabbit or pheasant so you knew what to look for..she would run a rabbit 50 yards or so then come back so you didnt spend all day looking for her ( see beagle) When she barked pheasant you knew to run up because she would flush it, no good for fancy setters and pointers but just fine for a farm boy out for the day. You really do need different dogs depending on what and where you hunt. Irish setters are beautiful and good bird dogs up north but dont do well in Southern heat. Beagles are good for rabbits, pointers for birds. hounds for coon....my favorite will always be a cross bread mutt that has a good time out hunting with me

rukiddin

I love all retrievers but partial to my Boykin.

Attachments

• 882DB651-6D5E-45D4-BD46-F120FACF98F2.jpeg
    882DB651-6D5E-45D4-BD46-F120FACF98F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • C2B9D559-3825-4CB3-9AA8-07CEDB08293A.jpeg
    C2B9D559-3825-4CB3-9AA8-07CEDB08293A.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 28
  • CF0694AF-91A3-4B80-BCEE-3D88B72F797D.jpeg
    CF0694AF-91A3-4B80-BCEE-3D88B72F797D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27

CATCHDAWG

For me, a Blackmouth cur is the ultimate hunting dog or dog period. They can do anything from treeing a squirrel to a bear. They can hold down a 300lb hog or round up cattle and put them in a chute or a trailer. They are yours and your families best friend and a strangers worst enemy.

Remington700

Depends on what I want to hunt. I grew up with labs hunting ducks and dove. I currently have a Original Mountain Cur and hunt squirrel and coons. Both very good dogs.

casjoker

I like them all! I love a pack of beagles on rabbits. A good coon dog is a blast. Had GSPs that was great on everything upland. The springer we had was great, so were my dad's Irish Setters. My little English Setter was death on woodcock and grouse. Labs are fun, seen some great goldens, and have had Chessies off and on since I was 12. Now my two favorite dogs as far as the ones with the most/nicest personality are my former English Setter, Bell, and my current Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Had a mutt named Oreo who was unique and the only dog I swear could have lived in the wild, she could catch about anything from frogs to coons. I have loved all my dogs some just stand out a little more than others.

DRSJ35

Pic is sideways for some reason. But this is my girl Suzy Q. My first time owning a gsp. I absolutely love this breed. So much energy they never stop while in the field. And they will hunt anything you want them to. I got her for grouse,woodcock, and quail. Don’t have a many around but it’s fun to watch her work. She’s impressive for 1.5 years old.
289E3453-AFA2-4707-AEB1-CD2098968E56.jpeg

timberjack86

For me, a Blackmouth cur is the ultimate hunting dog or dog period. They can do anything from treeing a squirrel to a bear. They can hold down a 300lb hog or round up cattle and put them in a chute or a trailer. They are yours and your families best friend and a strangers worst enemy.
This x1000!! Love a good cur!!

Latest posts