Whats your favorite .30 caliber hunting bullet????

Rackseeker

I should have all my parts to finish my model 700 - .300 win mag build in a couple of weeks. So I'm starting to think about what bullets I'm going to load for it. The barrel is finished at 26" and 1-10 twist.
I'm thinking about the 180 Berger VLDs or the Accubonds. Although I've had good luck out of the Hornady SST bullets in the past with factory ammo. Since I'll be hand loading thought I'd try something else.
I already load the 190 grain Sierra Matchking in my F-class rifle just don't know how they would do on whitetail. Just may have to try them as well. Thanks for any info.....

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
I tried the 180 Accubonds in my 300 magnum and wasn't impressed with them. Pencil sized entrance and exit on the only deer I shot with one at around 200 yards. I dropped back to the regular 180 ballistic tip and had better results and accuracy too. I really need to revisit them but my first impression wasn't good.

huntinman

125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 30-06. Leaves a heck of a blood trail, if any at all. Lost 2 good bucks on 180gr core lokt bullets. Not anymore since switching to these 125 gr BT.

Rackseeker

DEER ASSASSIN said:
SMK's work great on game

pmc has killed several with 168 smk

300 win mag for deer id say 150 accubond or partition if u feel froggy 180 accubond

if it was a 308 id say 125 nbt loaded down to 27-3000 fps

My load for my heavy rifle (18 lbs) is 82.5 grains of H-1000 with 190 SMKs at 3180 fps. I don't know if I can handle that load out of 9 1/2 lb. rifle. :crazy: I'm thinking in the ballpark of 150-168 grain bullet for this one.

Tiny

1- Partiton
2- Barnes Oringal in 1 30/06
3- Accubond
4- Sierra Pro Hunter
5- All other Barnes these could be higher on my list but the game hasn't been willing to play when I have then in the field.

All 150gr BTW

skynimrod

For deer with a 300 mag I would definitely try out the just released>Fusion 165 grain component bullet if you can find some. Pretty good bang for the buck (no pun intended), and are known to be highly accurate also.

I like the Interbond also for a little more $$.

Barnes for all out/geter done no BS/money no object bullet

redblood

Well. With the rig you are describing as well as such a large case capacity yyou need to go with at least 180 gr bullet to maximize ballistic coefficiency and sectional density. At about 3000 fps, most cup and core will suffice, but I would strobly reccommend the time honored 180 gr. Hornaday interlock.

mr.big

the speed of the 150 will outdo the BC and SD of the 180-200 gr bullets until you reach 675-700 yards,,even in the wind,,

I have killed several whitetails with 150 Partition at 3700 fps,,bang fops,,little meat damage and never recovered a bullet,,

if you are hunting elk or ranges past 500 I would look at a heavier bullet,,

300 yards and in,,just shoot what ever your gun likes

Sako

This thread is an example of the fact that there are some really good 30 cal hunting bullets available.... I have a hard time discounting any of them mentioned.....

However, my favorites are....

For Whitetail around here.... I love the 165gr Nosler Blastic Tips... they shoot great in my gun and I have not lost a deer with them yet..... and they are cheap...

When I go out west for elk & mule deer.... I use the Barnes 168gr TSX... which also shoots great in my guns and I have never had one fail and never had one fail to pass through.

TiminTN

I`ve got my 30/06 loaded with 165 Accubonds. Its a hammer with 150 Ballistic Tips, but my shots are up close and personal on my Mississippi lease. I really am torn at times wanting to use the 165 Hornady SP.

redblood

sectional density and ballistic coefficents are the most reliable indicators of bullet performance. any bullet in 30 caliber will kill a deer. no doubt. however in inopportune circumstances, a heavy for caliber bullet can save the day. and i have never heard say " i wish i had been shooting a lighter bullet", after losing a deer.

Tiny

redblood said:
.... however in inopportune circumstances, a heavy for caliber bullet can save the day. and i have never heard say " i wish i had been shooting a lighter bullet", after losing a deer.

Or a strouter built one. One reason when in doubt I reach for the Parttions and latealy AB's. ;)

Latest posts