What's your Best "go to" early season strategy?

Mike D

FOOD, FOOD, FOOD. I go to deeper woods around ridgelines where oaks will be dropping and where there are thickets during the morning and afternoon and then I head a bit closer to field edges to ambush groups of bucks if possible.

easy45

cecil30-30 said:
Be in a tree stand. lol

Pretty much me too, I'll look for white oaks dropping or persimmons or in the case of this year a corn field that is the only crop besides cotton for miles, depending on how much rain we have had I'll target water also

Bone Collector

1. find an oak dropping with deer poop around it. if you can't find one.
2. find the trail between where they are coming from and where they are eating (Soy bean field, corn field, clover plot, etc) and be on it.

mind the wind in both situations.

fairchaser

I agree that hunting food is king. If I can find an early tree dropping golden nuggets with raisinets all around that is a magic combination. If my trail cams produce a good buck, that's where my stand will be. I think flexibility is key early season. I can get some dry runs early season too but I can't pass being in the woods even with the chiggers, ticks, snakes and skeeters. You never know when the stars will line up and Mr Big shows up and make your season.

156p&y

catman529 said:
Before the oaks are really going I like the privet thickets.... Actually I like them all season long. When chinkapins are dropping good I hope to find the best patch with the most fresh deer sign

Same here. I search religiously for the chinkapins, seems like you get about 5 days before they move to another tree.

Latest posts