What's your Best "go to" early season strategy?

fairchaser

Just strategizing about the first couple of weeks of bow season when things are typically slow and trying to get a couple does down and maybe get lucky on a good buck. What's your best strategy for early success?

turkeyhunter

Luck up on a spot where im seeing deer befor season starts. Like a field where deer are coming into just befor dark. Or an apple tree or something. I can watch and pattern these deer without spooking them. Then when season opens I try to sneak in on them.

Winchester

FOOD is king that time of year and its a great time to kill them on a solid daily pattern, especially before they know they are being hunted.

deadeye 77

looking for acorns dropping early or persimmons starting to ripen also they seem to be on their summer patterns too and a little easier to pattern for a short period until they know we are hunting them.

Jarred525

Afternoon hunts on edge of soybean field where trails come out from bedding area if beans are still green. I usually can get an opening weekend hunt out of this. Excited this year that we had some beans planted late. After that, I like muddy's strategy. Find a good oak dropping.

BHC

There is a very slim chance I'll shoot a doe the first couple weeks of bow.. IMO this is the least capitalized time frames by hunters. IMO This period is almost equal to the rut in potential to take a fully mature buck...
I use cameras to try and find core areas of bucks. You know when you've found it because he's there just as often as all the other deer... Then find the best food and either hunt it, or between there and perceived bedding area.. Scrapes and rub lines that appear in September are also great indicators of how a buck travels possibly on a daily basis. Home ranges are at there smallest at this point of the season, which is a big help! Also deer are on a daily routine to a certain extent( this also depends on the specific deer). Which also really shifts it in your favor..

The two biggest bucks I've shot, were on opening day of bow season..

Winchester

BHC I agree, first couple weeks especially on private property is a GREAT time to kill a good buck on a bed to feed pattern before he gets disrupted!

spoon

Winchester said:
FOOD is king that time of year and its a great time to kill them on a solid daily pattern, especially before they know they are being hunted.

What Scott said! You need to figure out where they are eating in the morning and afternoon

catman529

Before the oaks are really going I like the privet thickets.... Actually I like them all season long. When chinkapins are dropping good I hope to find the best patch with the most fresh deer sign

Latest posts