What's wrong?

wtdhunter1

New to duck hunting went twice so far. Seen alot of ducks within a couple hundred yards once they get about 80 they flair almost every time. Blind is brushed really good I think... its 100 on old hickory. Is it my spread, calling... what gives?

Grizzly Johnson

If they are flaring every time, something is wrong..... is the brush up around the shooting hole and covering your faces?

Walk out in the decoys and see if something is shinning.... look back toward the blind ans see if something stands out... check the top of the blind too... walk all around it and look for any bright spots showing through the brush.

geezer

A friend of mine (this was around 99) had some guys put aluminum foil strips on top of his blind. Would like to think that no one would do that but if it happened then it could happen today.

jb3

I never realized how much your face stands out till I saw people in another blind. Looked like four stop signs to a group of ducks, and this was from a couple hundred yards away.

ClubHead

Reason I think its Gads is that we had a big push of them Opening Sunday.Try a Gadwall Call or a Beep Beep with a mallard call once you have Identified them as Gads.You can tell by their wingbeat,have skinnier wings and faster than Mallards or if they lose altitude too quick.Some reason they are skiddish with a mallard call.Some times they will work but most times they will flare bigtime when they hear a call.

Latest posts