What year did you start going hunting?

Specializedjon

Those red paper-roll cap guns were such a big part of my childhood that I can easily conjure up the smell of them in my head. So many memories.
Right after watching Bonanza...going out in the yard and mag dumping (roll dump) on the dog, then shoving my nose in the side compartment of my shiny six shooter....aaaaaahhhhh

Knothead

Those red paper-roll cap guns were such a big part of my childhood that I can easily conjure up the smell of them in my head. So many memories.
Meeee toooooo! Wow! Just reading that post and I could immediately remember the smell of those once again, after all these years! Those were such good days back then.

tickweed

1968. 8 years old. Got my first bb gun. Lord, wasnt a bird safe in south Madison county. Learned on my own. progressed to a little single barrell 20. squirrels, rabbits, doves, ducks, a few coons. Turned 14 in 1974, got a motorcycle license, had a way to travel, started deer and turkey. Didnt even know what a hen turkey sounded like, plus so very few back then. I have to wonder what people thought when they saw this kid going down the hwy on an XL100 honda, a gun strapped xst the seat, duck decoys hanging off, hip boats, boat paddle. LOL

Buzzard Breath

My dad and uncle have been taking me since I was born, but 1981 was the year I turned 10 and allowed to take my hunters safety class, get my license and carry a gun. I also passed my trapping class that year and ran a trap line for the next 8. I have the license framed and on a shelf with my outdoors keepsakes.

20211013_145514.jpg

rtaylor

I started tagging along on my grandpa's quail hunts in the mid to late 80's. In 1991 I went squirrel hunting on my own with my dad's single shot .410 and killed my first squirrel. I was hooked after that. Killed my first deer in 1996 at my grandpa's hunting lease in Mississippi. I owe him a lot for introducing me to the best sport in the world.

gatodoc

I started hunting when I was 8 in the late 50s but wasn't allowed to cay a gun until I was 12. Rabbit hunted with beagles then and an occasional squirrel. Went deer hunting in 1968 ar AEDC. Saw one doe but my papaw killed a buck that field dressed over 190#. I heard it was the heaviest buck killed in TN that year.

Gave up rabbit hunting in the late 70s our dogs kept running deer and we were spending more time hunting dogs than rabbits.

First serious deer hunt was about 10 years ago. Killed a 2 1/2 year old 8 point the first day. Been an obsession ever since.

KTS

Started tagging along with my older brother in the late 40's hunting squirrels, rabbit's and possum hunting at night.
I wasn't allowed to hunt by myself until I was 13 (1954), my brother let me use his single barrel Stevens 20 Ga. I killed a lot of squirrels and rabbits with that old gun. Wish I still had it but my Nephew has it now.
I started deer hunting in 1962, I still have the deer tag from that year. I didn't kill a deer for two years, I remember the first deer track that I ever saw, really got my heart to pounding. The first deer I ever killed is another story altogether.
That was the beginning of very long and devoted love affair with the outdoors and deer hunting in particular.
It can and will, literally get in your blood!

tonybart55

Man I feel super green lol I started hunting in 2017, I was 23 years old. Been hooked ever since. I played a lot of football throughout high school and college so that took up most of my time. It was my Father in Law that got me into hunting. The first time I met him I was having dinner with my now wife and her momma, he was supposed to be hunting in Kentucky but he came home early and walked in with his camo on and his muzzle loader lol great memory

Labboy

1976 bird hunting in Indiana. Back then we could walk out the back door let them bird dogs out and go for miles without seeing a fence. Sadly those days are long gone.

recurve60#

I am am just guessing because I hadn't started to school yet when my dad started taking me. Which would mean it was probably 1965 or 66. I remember he let me carry my grandfather's single shot 22 and it was longer than I was tall. I still have that gun. The ejector and firing pin are completely worn down now. My grandfather had it when he was a kid and he was born in 1895. My grandfather is long gone and lost my dad about 3 years.
But that rifle brings back years of memories

eddie c

I had a few trips with Dad and my brother as I was growing up but didn't get serious until about a year or so after I got married. Got hitched in '82 so maybe in '83.

Doecrusher

I started back in '98 when Illinois really did have big bucks behind every other tree. Those first 7 years were some of the best hunting I can remember. Then things sort've went down hill fast. My old man was a butcher so he didn't want any part of that after dealing with it almost his whole life in my grandpa's shop. Now if you could catch and release a deer it'd be a different story I'm sure.

Kirk

1973 (11 years old) was my first official deer hunt. I was carrying a Model 94 Winchester 30-30. (still have it). I had been on hunts with my Dad but that was my first "real" deer hunt. The most vivid memory is how cold it was that day. We got back to the truck and my Dad pulled out a thermos of coffee. It was so hot it burned my lip and I jerked and spilled some in my lap. I wasn't cold anymore. LOL

Mescalero

I had to have been at least 10 so probably around 1970 or 1971. At first, it was just tagging along with dad as he squirrel hunted. And then I was allowed to hunt squirrels and rabbits using a single-shot .410 with my dad, uncle and grandpa. There were no deer in northern Ohio at that time. I know I got my 20 gauge Remington 870 as my 13th birthday present so hunted for a few years with that .410. That would have been 1974. Got my grandpa's Ithaca double barrel 12 gauge in 1975 or 1976 when he died (also born 1898). Still have it to this day. Used it some to hunt pheasant, but preferred the lighter 870.

Have enjoyed reading thread.

jag1

Back in 79, allowed to tag along with the "older men" to the blind on Birdsong Creek for several years. I was the designated jerk string boy. Pestered my dad for a gun until finally Christmas if my 7th grade year he got me a Stevens single shot 20 gauge. Blessed to go on a few squirrel hunts with him before he passed my 8th grade year. My uncle became mentor and went on jy 1st deer hunt at 15…shot a doe my first morning out with my dads Marlin 35. He had deer hunted for the five or so years leading up to his death and never taken one. I felt many conflicting emotions over that deer. Still use that gun today. Several youth have taken their 1st deer with that gun including ny daughter.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread.

Latest posts