What uses the mobile camera’s?

Thirty-06

If in the wrong thread please delete. Besides all the CWD talk, anyone use the mobile trail cameras that send text or emails to your phone? I have a lot of moultries but It seems to be one modem for each camera. Maybe someone knows more than I do but trying to get maybe one thing for a lot of cameras. For trapping, deer hunting and catching the Ocasional trespasser and that big buck! Cameras to get or don't? Or if someone Is using one modem for multiple moultries please explain and let me know. Thanks

dgolden

Re: What uses the mobile camera's?

I recently started using a Spypoint Evo. It's one of the cheapest ones you can buy. So far I'm impressed! I had to move it once because it was not getting any signal the first spot I had it at. $15 a month for unlimited photos. Right now I'm still using the 3 free months they give you.

fairchaser

I've been using the Coverts for several years. But, after this last one, I'm about to go back to less expensive but more reliable regular cameras. I've had good experience with the Browning Cameras and they are less than half of these cell phone cameras. The idea behind the cell cameras is that you don't have to visit them to retrieve cards but I find just the opposite. They run through batteries every two weeks and they may not get a clear signal. The pics are not great either. I've had trouble with the coverts fogging up and filling with rainwater too. I've sent several back for replacement and now that they are out of warranty I'm about done. I admit it's fun to have your phone buzz with a new pic but I'm over it with all the trouble you deal with.

TheLBLman

I'd just like to expand a bit on what Fairchaser has said . . . . . . . .

But first, and foremost, when it comes to trail cams, when it comes to both your time and money being invested in their use, just what it is you're wanting most?

It's not necessarily the same answer with each setup, but for most, the priority is to obtain good pics of everything walking in front of the cam?

As to most cell cams, at least regarding the pics being transmitted, you will miss more of what walks in front of the cam.
You will find out some of this later when you actually physically pull the card.

TheLBLman

fairchaser":3o9hmx8c said:
I've had good experience with the Browning Cameras and they are less than half of these cell phone cameras.
My experience as well.
Actually, you're typically looking at having about the same financial investment in one cell cam as 3 Browning Dark Ops cams.
And, you'll spend more on replacing batteries on that cell cam than you will on 3 Dark Ops over the course of time.

Will you get more pics from 3 cams than 1 cam?

How would you feel if you went a couple months WITHOUT physically pulling the card on the cell cam, having nothing you're looking for to be transmitted to your phone, but later when you pull the card, you find there are several pics on the SD card of what you most wanted to see?

The idea behind the cell cameras is that you don't have to visit them to retrieve cards but I find just the opposite. They run through batteries every two weeks and they may not get a clear signal. The pics are not great either.
Yep on all points.
And you pretty much MUST USE LITHIUM batteries, unless you don't mind physically installing new batteries in your cell cam more often than every two weeks! And unless you have a very strong cell signal at the cam location (often not the case), you will later find out there are lots of pics on the SD card that weren't transmitted.

I've had trouble with the coverts fogging up and filling with rainwater too.
I've had this particular trouble with most brands & models when the servicing door opens the full length of the box.
It often happens after a year, whenever the rubber seal on top begins degrading a bit.
My best solution for this as been a strip of camo Gorilla duct tape wrapped around at least the top of the cam box.

Knowing that water flows downhill, I've never understood why designing engineers had a servicing door crack on the top of a trail cam!

By contrast, the Browning line has a small servicing door near the bottom of their cams, with less possibility of any rain or moisture entering the cam. I've never used the Gorilla tape trick on the Brownings, and never had much moisture issue when them either. For me, Bushells, Coverts, and some other full-door brands have been problematic in rain, often causing blurry or worthless pics for several days after a rain, sometimes getting so much moisture in them to short-circuit and stop working.

I have a Love-Hate Relationship with Trail Cams :mrgreen:
The cell cams can be the greatest at times, as well as the worst of the worst in frustrating the user!

Thirty-06

Preciate the input, I have 8 Moultrie cameras and I've been using them for years because of the quality and have only had one or two go out on me. I ended up buying a SPYPOINT today. I'm really looking for a camera that will send me pictures at certain times and put where someone can't reach It and catch trespassers in and out. And give me a little better advantage of maybe catching them while on the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

Im a covert guy. I have 13 currently running in 3 states. The main reason, customer service. I have probably owned 25 over the past 7 years. The newest models we have (2018's 4G LTE). has insane reception (able to send pics from areas where my phone wont work), and we get about 3.5 months service out of a set of batteries. very easy to update the firm ware, and very reliable. Ive stuck with them as I mentioned their customer service has always been Johnny on the spot. Its the most useful tool we have to harvest mature bucks.

Attachments

• super 1.JPG
    super 1.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,267
  • super 2.JPG
    super 2.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • tony2.jpg
    tony2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,265

megalomaniac

There is NO WAY I could ever run cell cameras.

I obsess too much about hunting as it is. If I got a text pic of a big buck at a camera site, I just couldn't concentrate on work to make it through the day. I'm better off not knowing at that instant, although I know they would be extremely invaluable when it comes to killing big bucks.

Bone Collector

fairchaser":1gbofyam said:
I've been using the Coverts for several years. But, after this last one, I'm about to go back to less expensive but more reliable regular cameras. I've had good experience with the Browning Cameras and they are less than half of these cell phone cameras. The idea behind the cell cameras is that you don't have to visit them to retrieve cards but I find just the opposite. They run through batteries every two weeks and they may not get a clear signal. The pics are not great either. I've had trouble with the coverts fogging up and filling with rainwater too. I've sent several back for replacement and now that they are out of warranty I'm about done. I admit it's fun to have your phone buzz with a new pic but I'm over it with all the trouble you deal with.

The trick here is buy the 12 volt batteries, or if it is on a plot and sun hits it buy the solar panel. I get 3 months out of my 12v batteries.

Essentially I can charge the 12v, and put it on trails in thick cover that bucks are using during the rut. Often times there are scrapes, etc. in the area, so if they start one late Oct. early Nov. I can place camera over it and leave it. I did this, this year, and never had to check the camera once. Once that initial intrusion wears off, you don't have to intrude again, unless something goes wrong with the signal, which happens, but you technically have a cell phone in a remote location.

I got two Stealth cams for $69 each when Walmart decide they would no longer sell them. They are 3G so they will not be supported much longer. I plan to get 4G+ cell cams starting soon. Obviously I won't buy multiples at once, but i plan to get one here and there, so I have at least 3 by next deer season. They are game changers, and I admit it sometimes feels like cheating a little, but knowing when certain deer and when turkeys are around is helpful.

X-Tennessean

I am running a Covert and 2 Spartans.
Like the Coverts way better than the Spartans, Coverts easier to set up and the app works great. Spartans app in sub par and were a pain to get setup!

I have been looking into the Cuddeback Cuddelink cellular for the 1 cell service plan but utilizing up to 16 cameras BUT Cuddeback does not have the best reputation!

Anyone using the Cuddelinks?

bowhunt25

Thirty-06":3pj7t9gx said:
Preciate the input, I have 8 Moultrie cameras and I've been using them for years because of the quality and have only had one or two go out on me. I ended up buying a SPYPOINT today. I'm really looking for a camera that will send me pictures at certain times and put where someone can't reach It and catch trespassers in and out. And give me a little better advantage of maybe catching them while on the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too use the Moultrie Camera as well as the Modem for each. For me, I was a bit disappointed that you have to have the Modem for every camera. I will say that I have had great success in receiving pics as well as service for where I use them. I'm sure the others mentioned are just as good but I do like the Moultrie cam and modem.....

Jmed

buy a covert and you will forget how to spell moultrie

BULL MOOSE

Bone Collector":5wel0zs3 said:
fairchaser":5wel0zs3 said:

I got two Stealth cams for $69 each when Walmart decide they would no longer sell them. They are 3G so they will not be supported much longer. I plan to get 4G+ cell cams starting soon. Obviously I won't buy multiples at once, but i plan to get one here and there, so I have at least 3 by next deer season. They are game changers, and I admit it sometimes feels like cheating a little, but knowing when certain deer and when turkeys are around is helpful.

That was a good short term deal.

Latest posts