What to plant edge of field

Ski

I'm seriously kicking around the idea of leyland cypress or arborvitaes for a border. They grow large enough and thick enough to hide me, but not so big as to block out sun from the plot.

buckaroo

Its a small corner up against open woods, plot has wheat , clover, just wanted something around edges to have feel safe area, and food

TheLBLman

Are you talking about "right now" (December) or just sometime in the future?

I may have initially misread your post, as it appears you're referring more to trees than cultivars.

But, with the higher temps this Wednesday & Thursday, plus the rain,
it's tempting for me to get shed of all my left-over cereal rye this week.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I'm seriously kicking around the idea of leyland cypress or arborvitaes for a border. They grow large enough and thick enough to hide me, but not so big as to block out sun from the plot.
A lot of Arborvitaes died this summer. Well established trees with no disease. The heat added to the drought was too much for this tree that normally does well in Tn. Ours survived because the wife watered her flowers regularly.

DoubleRidge

Run a disk around the edges every few years to keep it grassy/forby vs woody and call it good. All kinds of good natural food/cover requiring zero maintenance other than mowing and the critters will thank you.

We will continue our current food plot program but with seed, fertilizer and fuel cost we have considered doing exactly what your recommending in multiple locations... creating natural early successional growth...bush hog couple times, chop everything up good, then lightly disk...allow the natural grasses and forbs to take off... burning is another option we are considering....great food that deer like... create fawning and nesting cover as well...low cost...win win.
Again...in addition to our food plot program...not as a replacement.... basically a cost effective way to add more diversity and food.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Honeysuckle and Blackberries are what the Deer around here feed on when when the acorns are gone and the weather gets cold.and the mast crop is gone. . They have been browsing on it pretty steady around here with some trees having little to no mast.