What to do with coyotes?

moondawg

What do you do with your coyotes once you've killed them? The inlaws said they have a coyote problem, said they're coming closer to the house. The inlaws said just to drop them and leave them.

Is it ethical or legal? Heck, even the buzzards/coons/possums gotta eat, too.

pass-thru

IMO, no it's not ethical to ditch a coyote pelt that has commerical value. You'd be surprised how much some of them bring this year.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Check on youtube and there are several guys on there that have videos of how to skin one for the sale of the pelt.

I know there is no TELLING how many they have done to be so good at it, but it will give you a good idea as to how to do it.

As for the prep of the skin between there and sale, well I have no idea.

Just some fyi.

pass-thru

TeamMainStreet said:
pass-thru said:
TeamMainStreet said:
Buzzard feed and fertilizer, bout all they are good for. I am not skinning a mangy dog, sorry.

very few have any mange.

I know this. I don't make it a habit to skin dogs was all I was sayin.

Seems like a waste.

Coyotes from TN worth anywhere from nothing up to 100 or more. If folks are going to make a habit of shooting them and other predaotrs, that comes with the responsibility to know which have value, and treat the resourse responsiliby. There are fellas that make there living off that fur. I can't see being flippant and pitching it in the ditch.

Rockhound

When i kill one they get ditched, fox or bobcats i will give to someone who will use or i will myself. But as far as they go im killing everyone i see, part of the reason Lawrence county has no turkeys.

pressfit

I skinned one in the woods once on my farm and left it hanging.. NOTHING touched it.. it somehow preserved its self and turned into a tough leatherly carcuss.. it stayed intact for the (iirc) better part of a year.. I finally unwired the leg bone about 3 years later.. by then that was all that was left.. shootem and ditchem.. just like you would a rat in your house..

moondawg

I wil be shooting them with a 7mm mag, if I go. I don't know how that will affect the hide. I don't have a "predator" rifle so my deer rifle will have to do.

MRUTVOL

pass-thru said:
Seems like a waste.

Coyotes from TN worth anywhere from nothing up to 100 or more. If folks are going to make a habit of shooting them and other predaotrs, that comes with the responsibility to know which have value, and treat the resourse responsiliby. There are fellas that make there living off that fur. I can't see being flippant and pitching it in the ditch.

Well I will have to very much disagree with you on that Pass-Thru. Unless there has been a BIG SPIKE in the demand for Southern coyotes and that includes Tennessee coyotes the standard tri colored coyote will be lucky to get you $15 on the fur markets here and that maybe high. The only yotes that will bring you a $100 or more around here are the odd color phased ones such as the blacks and reds. In the taxidermy world a black hide can bring you anywhere from a $100 to $250 on the average depending on its size and quality. Go to a fur sale here and see for yourself how little they think of them. I know a trapper who took some he caught to sale in East Tennessee couple years back and $8.00 was his average on sale. He said he would not ever waste his time skinning another one.
The only yotes that will bring that kind of money are from the northern states like the Dakotas ,Montana,Wyoming and etc. They actually have fur on them . These down here for the most part have more of a coarse hair and thinned fur. Personally I just cut the tails off to keep and let them lay. They are not worth the time to skin IMO unless they are unique in size or colors.
I am after a white one that has been seen in the areas I hunt and you can bet I will keep her if I get it. :grin:

Latest posts