What to do in Miami/Keys?

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

Might be able to get a week off with my wife in mid March. Looking to maybe catch a cheap flight to Ft Lauderdale, Fl.
Renting a car and driving towards the keys sounds fun but not sure what to do. I’d love to fish but I’m gonna focus on spending time with my wife. Gonna leave the kid behind too, we will miss her but it will be nice awakening to only two people in a bed.
Amazing how sneaky a 3yr old can be, they are like ninjas crawling into your bed.
Anyways, what to do if I can swing the trip??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmed

Jmed

I would not be able to go down there without fishing. I mean you've got it all from back waters to off shore.

DaveB

DaveB

For Miami, an AR with 5 30 round mags. Okay okay get ready this is ino order you'll have to map these out.

Stop at the Fishing hall of fame.
Watch Jai alai at Miami
watch dogs at Flagler
Watch Ponies at Gulfstream
Go to 19000 NW 10th court and look, it has a basement. Won't see many of them in Miami ( I lived there)
Have Breakfast at the Fontainbleau Hotel, watch the sunrise.
Drive to 84 and cross the state to Naples looking at all the alligators on the canal banks.
Maybe an airboat ride into the Glades.
Go to one of the fancy places in Naples and have dinner and watch the sunset.
Go to Marathon Key, Bud&Mary's marina, to the dock, and look at the tarpon just feet from you (BIG Tarpon)
Can't recall name of Bar. Where Jimmy Buffet got started in the keys. Used to be signs
Go to one of the tourist traps and pay the coin to swim with the dolphins.
Buy your Wife a seashell with a crab poking out. Can't leave Florida without some souvenirs.
Buy pounds and pounds of sea shells so wife can string together necklaces. Don't forget the Conch shell.
Drive to south south south key west and spit in the ocean.
Make wife drive 7-mile bridge
Go to Krome avenue (old drag racing spot-miles long straight as an arrow) you can go fast here.
Go to Dodge Island and stare at the cruise ships.
Got to south beach joint where you can look out at Biscayne Bay and eat dinner. kinda pretty
The snake joint and the Zoo got hurt by Andrew and IMHO have never recovered and never will.
There is a Bakery called FUCHS in South Miami. I knew the owners daughter. Freckles, red brown hair, cute, say hello from David. I bet she remembers.
There are some great dancing joints in Miami.....be careful, some have gone to the dark side.
If its open, Joe's Stone Crabs, reserve Now it may be too late.
If you see the Dupont Plaza at the mouth of the Miami River wave, used to be a beauty/model/manners school for young ladies Was a nice place

DaveB

DaveB

Kayaking the mangroves, hmmmm.

Okay,
1. be armed.
2. carry a ton of water
3. Carry more mosquito repellent than you ever thought you would need
4. Take a long look at my skin cancer pictures, then get some SPF 5,000,000.
5. Get something to cover your nose. Mangroves have a smell. Some find it objectionable.
6. Best have a real compass/gps thing. Not many cellphone signals out there.
7. Used to be only high tide navigable.....haven't kept up, prolly different now
8. Wife will need great big straw hat to keep sun off face and shoulders.

B

BMan

Key West can be an interesting place, but unless you're into bars and queers it's pretty much a day trip, so stay further up the Keys and drive down. When you're getting your picture taken at the "southernmost point" buoy look southwest and you'll see it really isn't. If you go, make sure you check if anything is happening during that time because the traffic there can be, and often is, ridiculous.

If you are driving into the Keys from the mainland, take Card Sound Road and NOT US 1. It will cost you an extra dollar, and it's a few miles longer, but the scenery is pretty much the same except CSR crosses a high bridge over the intracoastal waterway. It also ensures you do not have to drive all the way back to Florida City and then down CSR if the drawbridge is stuck (as it often is) on Key Largo. Coming back up, you can take US 1 all the way because the drawbridge is at the beginning of the trip.

Bear in mind, there is no alternate route in the Keys - US1 is the only road that runs down the keys. If US1 is shut down, you're going nowhere. Plan your flight accordingly.

Do NOT speed on Big Pine Key. 1/2 of the Monroe County Sheriff's Department patrols US1 on BPK (remember the part about only one road?).

The weather is usually absolutely perfect that time of year; don't go in the summer.

Also, as already noted, if you go to Miami, go heavy. It's like the Korean DMZ in America, but without the charm.

Pilchard

Pilchard

That’s my neck of Latin America. Ha!

Convince her to go fishing.

Some of the coolest sightfishing you can find exists under the bridges and in the lights of downtown Miami after the sun goes down. There aren’t many places where you can have 25-50 shots per night at giant tarpon that are sitting just feet away from the end of your skiff... and unlike fly fishing for them in the clear water of the keys during the day, they actually eat quite well.

Bob lemay is a guide that specializes in this and will show you and the wifey a great time...

P.S. if your wife won’t agree to this, my suggestion is to stick with my plan above and find a new wife.

R

rolltide22

Marathon Key has a good bit of charter boats if you decide to go. Got married and honey mooned in the keys. Went out on a charter boat and puked my brains out:)). My bride still reminds me of that trip.

D

Dully

DaveB":1lrblqdt said:
For Miami, an AR with 5 30 round mags. Okay okay get ready this is ino order you'll have to map these out.

Stop at the Fishing hall of fame.
Watch Jai alai at Miami
watch dogs at Flagler
Watch Ponies at Gulfstream
Go to 19000 NW 10th court and look, it has a basement. Won't see many of them in Miami ( I lived there)
Have Breakfast at the Fontainbleau Hotel, watch the sunrise.
Drive to 84 and cross the state to Naples looking at all the alligators on the canal banks.
Maybe an airboat ride into the Glades.
Go to one of the fancy places in Naples and have dinner and watch the sunset.
Go to Marathon Key, Bud&Mary's marina, to the dock, and look at the tarpon just feet from you (BIG Tarpon)
Can't recall name of Bar. Where Jimmy Buffet got started in the keys. Used to be signs
Go to one of the tourist traps and pay the coin to swim with the dolphins.
Buy your Wife a seashell with a crab poking out. Can't leave Florida without some souvenirs.
Buy pounds and pounds of sea shells so wife can string together necklaces. Don't forget the Conch shell.
Drive to south south south key west and spit in the ocean.
Make wife drive 7-mile bridge
Go to Krome avenue (old drag racing spot-miles long straight as an arrow) you can go fast here.
Go to Dodge Island and stare at the cruise ships.
Got to south beach joint where you can look out at Biscayne Bay and eat dinner. kinda pretty
The snake joint and the Zoo got hurt by Andrew and IMHO have never recovered and never will.
There is a Bakery called FUCHS in South Miami. I knew the owners daughter. Freckles, red brown hair, cute, say hello from David. I bet she remembers.
There are some great dancing joints in Miami.....be careful, some have gone to the dark side.
If its open, Joe's Stone Crabs, reserve Now it may be too late.
If you see the Dupont Plaza at the mouth of the Miami River wave, used to be a beauty/model/manners school for young ladies Was a nice place
!! Whee!! That's already got me tired :party:

W

waterman

Supporter
drytortugas.com . cool national park. requires boat trip to get there

B

brass magnet

According to a guy I worked with if you're going through alligator alley, on a motorcycle, do not run out of gas, he claimed he had elevated pucker factor! :shock:

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

waterman":1dvwm7u5 said:
drytortugas.com . cool national park. requires boat trip to get there

Now this sounds like something cool! We are always trying to hit up National Parks.

AT Hiker

AT Hiker

That’s for the suggestions guys! Sounds like I need a side arm and a fishing pole, no matter what I do.
I really want to drive down to the keys so thanks for the info on the roadways to and from.

S

scn

Supporter
My family found the tour of the Hemingway House in Key West to be interesting.

Up at one of the State Parks on one of the upper keys they have a coral reef sanctuary. We did a glass bottom boat tour over the reefs that was worth the time/money.

We stayed in Everglades City last spring while I fished out of there. There was some neat stuff in and around. Smallwood Store was certainly worth seeing. They have some of the original stuff dating back to when they first built the place in 1906. They do tours out on Chokoloksee Bay from the store. The little museum in Everglades City was worth the stop. And, there was good seafood at the Oyster House. They have a lot of pictures on the walls from "famous" folks that have eaten there from presidents to Ted Williams.

When we visited the Everglades on our keys trip a few years ago, we did a NPS boat tour that was fun. All of the NPS Visitor Centers/Museums around there are worth a stop.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Well as far as sightseeing, south beach is hard to beat..... that’s unless your wife is the jealous type. Although you will see some women that makes you wish they would put their top back on :)

T

TraumaSlave

Take boards, nails, tools, and help in the clean up efforts. I was thinking of going down this year for Vaca but, may wait until next year. Lots of ruin from the hurricane.