What just happened

catman529

Been working a bird that has been on private land. Had him gobbling good and finally he comes in to the public land and he's coming straight for me. Looked like 30 yards or so, leveled the bead on him and MISSED. Unloaded 2 more shells and nope he is gone. Maybe misjudged distance, could have let him get 15 steps closer, got it all on video and I feel like climbing into a hole and dying. He was coming straight in on a string and I could have just waited 10 more seconds and he would have been for sure dead. I'm going to go look for my tube call that I lost and then leave and come back in an hour or so and hope I can find another gobbling bird and not screw up this time. I can't describe the feeling it's terrible

catman529

elkman said:
You dont seem to be having any trouble getting on birds!
I try to look at that on the bright side but it still hurts. I have wasted 5 shells in 2 days. I could have called in and killed 2 birds in the first 2 days of season. I still can, if I am lucky enough this afternoon.

elkman

Keep your head up. I have not gotten to go yet, but i didnt hear a bird while listening before season, so not gonna get my hopes up.

elkman

drrxnupe said:
I had that same problem. Burris FFIII fixed it.

Ditto,scope added to mossberg has helped me a lot. I was bad at wanting to raise my head off the stock and watch as the turkey came in and ended up shooting over the top of a BUNCH of longbeards.

Vermin93

See my post from yesterday morning titled "Argh!!!".

Exact same....called a big Tom in from private to public, 30 yds, should have waited 10 more yds, got anxious, boom, miss, bird gone. Nothing but a few busted feathers to show for it. I haven't stopped thinking about it since....

catman529

Vermin93 said:
See my post from yesterday morning titled "Argh!!!".

Exact same....called a big Tom in from private to public, 30 yds, should have waited 10 more yds, got anxious, boom, miss, bird gone. Nothing but a few busted feathers to show for it. I haven't stopped thinking about it since....
it sucks doesn't it? Maybe we both will make up for it soon and call into our laps and shoot big old gobblers in the face.