What is your pinnacle achievement as a hunter?

fairchaser

Is it that mature whitetail buck you've been after for 3 years or a grand slam of all the 4 turkey subspecies? Maybe it's a charging bull elephant with a double rifle at 6 steps. It could be three quail on a covey rise. Maybe a pope and young buck with your bow. Maybe it's passing on your extensive knowledge and wisdom to a young hunter. What is it for you and have you achieved it?

Matador

For me, it is probably seeing a youngster succeed on the killing of a buck or doe knowing that I played a part in their success and happiness. I helped teach the Hunter Safety Course for better than 15 year. I still run into young men and women who tell me they took the course when I was teaching the muzzleloading part. The other part is the friends that I have hunted with for 35 plus year. No buck or animal can replace these friends and hunts.

csi-tech

I have to say that passing a 3 1/2 year old 120" 8 point this year tops the list. I was rewarded with a 120" 10 point Christmas Eve. Hey, I held out for 2 more points......Don't judge. :D

Buzzard Breath

My dad and I have deer hunted together for 30+ years and have never killed a double together until a couple years ago. This picture is framed and sits in a special place in my trophy room.
3d660edc7b959a7d52c49bb1c3cab2fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scn

There are no pinnacles for me. There is an ongoing appreciation for the blessings I've been given that have allowed me to retain the hunting "spark" and want to be out there after a variety of critters. This past year marked the 49th straight year that I have bowhunted for deer. Several times this season I sat there and reflected on just how lucky and how blessed I have been where illness, injury, or just life didn't break that streak. There were some years in there where life and finances greatly limited the trips. But, I was able to get out there.

At this point in my life, just being blessed to be able to go out and enjoy God's natural cathedral is enough for me. Add in doing it with some life-long friends and an occasional kill is icing on the cake.

catman529

I think my ultimate goal is to not only kill one but learn how to hunt and kill mature bucks on the WMA where I started hunting. Of course I enjoy deer hunting a lot and will take a lot of time to hunt different places and shoot does and enjoy the scenery. But some day I would like to figure out the elusive older bucks that have survived 2, 3 or more years of the orange army.

Os2 Outdoors

Me achievements change as my life moves on and I achieve them. And it depends on what I'm doing an where I'm hunting.

I love killing a big buck on public ground, it's something about killing that deer that anybody in the world can hunt if they want.

When I was younger it was kill a P&Y.
Then it was kill a Booner by bow.

Now I believe I've set myself an unattainable goal. I want to kill all 10 inch brackets 100-200 inches by bow. I lack 160,170,190 and 200.

I also love teaching people about my world. Whether it's taking a kid or newbie on a walk shed hunting or getting a kid his first deer. These will ultimately be the biggest things we do for ourselves and our sport.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MUP

2016 season, being with my daughter and watching her take over and take her first deer, a doe, ever. Then, this past season, watching the same thing, as she followed a spike buck for several minutes trailing thru the woods back and forth, then taking the shot and putting it down with another heart shot. Those are my two most prominent achievements as a hunter. A distant 3rd is the 150 class 9 pt I shot during last ML season. I think I'll just become a guide for my daughter now. :)

tree_ghost

I would say my pinnacle achievement was killing a 152" with my bow. However as I mature as a hunter my goals are changing. I am not as concerned with the biggest set of antlers, although big antlers is a big plus for me but I'm finding more enjoyment and fulfillment out of the preparation of deer season and the patterning of a single particular animal. I prefer the game of "chess" with my opponent over killing a huge buck that fell in my lap...which is Exactly what happened with my 152" P&Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

tree_ghost":18firgt1 said:
I would say my pinnacle achievement was killing a 152" with my bow. However as I mature as a hunter my goals are changing. I am not as concerned with the biggest set of antlers, although big antlers is a big plus for me but I'm finding more enjoyment and fulfillment out of the preparation of deer season and the patterning of a single particular animal. I prefer the game of "chess" with my opponent over killing a huge buck that fell in my lap...which is Exactly what happened with my 152" P&Y.

Tree ghost, nobody kills a mature buck with a bow by accident or just pure luck. That's a huge accomplishment!

diggerak

Enjoying the outdoors with the pack as I call them. I have two girls and they have multiple friends from broken families that stay at the house often. I have got to enjoy fishing,mushrooming, she'd hunting Ginseng hunting and resting on a hill watching a creek with them. Deer season is my get away time and none are into killing .

megalomaniac

got all 3 kids into hunting prob my biggest achievement. Hope they stick with it.

killing a bull elk on public land out west, unguided, with a bow was also a highlight.

Grnwing

Getting my dad his first deer, happened this past year at 66. He always took the time when I was younger to get me in the field and even though he wasn't a hunter growing up he took the time to help fuel my passion for it. That morning watching him shoot his first deer and seeing the excitement and joy was priceless and serves as the best "trophy". I have a 7 month old daughter that maybe able to rival it when she gets older.

Mike Belt

Always striving to take my biggest buck thus far even though I've passed on a bunch that would qualify for that. Otherwise, probably still being alive and having the opportunity to keep on trying.

bloodtrailing

I was about 13 and was on an opening day dove hunt. I was in a good spot the birds were using to come into the field. I pretty much plugged that hole hitting doubles and limiting out pretty quick. I was in a zone. I had people coming over to meet me and see who put on the wing shooting display. That was fun.

tree_ghost

fairchaser":10vtzauh said:
tree_ghost":10vtzauh said:

Tree ghost, nobody kills a mature buck with a bow by accident or just pure luck. That's a huge accomplishment!

Well I appreciate that very much and do agree it's no easy task...I actually just got the teaser pic from the taxi of him...[emoji3]

Latest posts