What is this?

timberjack86

Found in a plowed field yesterday while hunting. Its a bone with a groove cut through it.
1336863323.jpg
1336863333.jpg
1336863326.jpg

geezer

Timberjack, I was flipping through a 2001 edition of the central states archaeological journal and ran across this, thought you might wanna see it. Hope it helps. Different groove but the ancients did alot of things different from site to site......Who knows :)
IMAG1177.jpg

Locksley

timberjack86 said:
Best pic I got
1336863319.jpg

Well my best guess from the fuzzy picture is Atlatl
An atlatl (/ˈɑːt.lɑːtəl/[1] or /ˈ�t.l�təl/; Classical Nahuatl: ahtlatl [ˈaʔtɬatɬ]) or spear-thrower is a tool that uses leverage to achieve greater velocity in dart-throwing.
It consists of a shaft with a cup or a spur at the end that supports and propels the butt of the dart. The atlatl is held in one hand, gripped near the end farthest from the cup. The dart is thrown by the action of the upper arm and wrist, using the atlatl as a low-mass, fast-moving extension of the throwing arm. The atlatl acts as a lever that trades force for speed (the inverse of "leverage" as the term is commonly used).
Common ball throwers (molded plastic shafts used for throwing tennis balls for dogs to fetch) use the same principle.
A traditional atlatl is a long-range weapon and can readily impart to a projectile speeds of over 150 km/h (93 mph)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/hi ... page=21233

Chris Tripp

That bone is not that old, it has very little mineralization or patina. It appears to be what is left of a broke deer leg bone, they have a natural groove.

Latest posts