What is shaving off my vanes?

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

I have seen this two other times. Is the arrow passing through ribs/bones shaving off my vanes?

eb718b767ec99fd9117ef3b3d7bd2c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

duckduck84

I can't offer much insight, but I did have a crossbow bolt go through a gap in my fence a few weeks ago while letting my wife shoot it and the fence boards shaved mine off.

I would think a rib could do it, but that's completely an opinion based on one experience.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Big Ben

Big Ben

If they are factory mass produced arrows the glue is not that great and vanes will come off. I fletch thousands of arrows over the years and always put a small drop of glue on each end of the vane or feather where it touched the shaft and that helped a lot. We called it tipping. You can do that yourself with even crazy glue.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

Big Ben":34mrl7s7 said:
If they are factory mass produced arrows the glue is not that great and vanes will come off. I fletch thousands of arrows over the years and always put a small drop of glue on each end of the vane or feather where it touched the shaft and that helped a lot. We called it tipping. You can do that yourself with even crazy glue.

Yes I understand tipping your fletching. If you look closely, you will see the vane is cut, meaning it didn't come off, it was shaved. Almost like damage caused by another broad head when shooting into a target too close to the other arrows.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Could it have possibly already been that way, from practicing, and you just overlooked it?

I don't know of anything that will / can do that except a broadhead.

D

Deer Whisperer

Is it possible that the arrow was nocked 180 degrees? That would make the vane scrape by the hardware on your bow.
This may not be it, but I don't know how your bow is set up.

DaveB

DaveB

Logically it has to be something inside the deer or really very close to the deer.

With just two vanes I think your accuracy should have been way off. The arrow has passed through the deer and the vane has been shaved off. Think maybe the arrow shaved a vertabra? Maybe some vane pieces are inside the deer?

Or, maybe the arrow was sticking out of the deer and the deer ran into a fence or tree to dislodge the arrow?

Look for tiny particles of the vane on your bow. as in dust tiny.

TDW05

TDW05

Anything inside a deer wouldn't cut it that clean would it? That's like a perfect cut! You would think if it was a rib or something inside the deer it would look jagged or torn and not a perfect cut?

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

RUGER":2212a6in said:
Could it have possibly already been that way, from practicing, and you just overlooked it?

Good idea but nope, I spin test each arrow before putting them into my quiver.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

DaveB":2mdh0du3 said:
Logically it has to be something inside the deer or really very close to the deer. Agreed.

With just two vanes I think your accuracy should have been way off. The arrow has passed through the deer and the vane has been shaved off. Think maybe the arrow shaved a vertabra? Maybe some vane pieces are inside the deer? Accuracy was right on the money. The arrow didn't come anywhere near the spine. It has to be ribs doing it.

Or, maybe the arrow was sticking out of the deer and the deer ran into a fence or tree to dislodge the arrow? You can see where the arrow ended up in the picture, it was a pass through and stuck in the ground right behind the deer.

Look for tiny particles of the vane on your bow. as in dust tiny.

Thanks for the suggestions, See my comments above.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

TDW05":2q30jqv5 said:
Anything inside a deer wouldn't cut it that clean would it? That's like a perfect cut! You would think if it was a rib or something inside the deer it would look jagged or torn and not a perfect cut?

I hear ya, you wouldn't think it would be cut that clean. I have already processed the deer, so I can't go back to look at the ribs. I shoot Thunderheads so my best guess is it shooting through a rib and the rib is shearing off the plastic vane. I am truly baffled by this.

I will for sure cut into the deer next time it happens.

Here is the doe, I was up about 18 feet in the tree when I shot her from about 35 yards almost broadside slightly angling towards me.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,185
RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
FLTENNHUNTER1":2o9py3ik said:
RUGER":2o9py3ik said:

Good idea but nope, I spin test each arrow before putting them into my quiver.
Hmmm very interesting.
I have no clue then. Hope you figure it out man.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

J

JBell

Any chance a blade broke off in a bone and shaved it as the rest passed by?

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

Deer Whisperer":398sphzu said:
Is it possible that the arrow was nocked 180 degrees? That would make the vane scrape by the hardware on your bow.
This may not be it, but I don't know how your bow is set up.

Good idea but most likely not the cause. I shoot a whisker bisket and there really isn't much the fletching can hit once it leaves the string.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.JPG
    IMG_1607.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,149
FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

JBell":2t7o939n said:
Any chance a blade broke off in a bone and shaved it as the rest passed by?

Good idea but nope, I have the broadhead.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

huntintn":2mgmgbnh said:
Was she carrying a knife?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

LOL, yes, she brought a knife to an arrow fight!

G

GRIT

Has this happened to you 2 times this year?

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Any chance there was a broken broadhead inside the deer cavity? As in from a previous shot...Long shot but that was something very sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Bro

Mr.Bro

Vanes just crack and break like that when they are dry rotted. Have seen old vanes just snap in half.