What in the heck is going on with the TWRA and Fed refuge surveys?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Just a different take one it. With the high resolution camera's we have available today, why not just have a pilot fly over with one on video mode, and then have the counters analyze them in the office. Satellite stills were good enough 60 years ago to identify trucks, tanks, troop carriers from space. We ought to be able to identify ducks today with a low altitude flyover and only one person in the plane. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems like it should be a viable option.

prstide

Just a different take one it. With the high resolution camera's we have available today, why not just have a pilot fly over with one on video mode, and then have the counters analyze them in the office. Satellite stills were good enough 60 years ago to identify trucks, tanks, troop carriers from space. We ought to be able to identify ducks today with a low altitude flyover and only one person in the plane. I don't know what the answer is, but it seems like it should be a viable option.
Why not just use a drone. Problem solved

timberjack86

Obviously to you ducks are more important than people's health. That is bush league to me.
Not a duck Hunter at all, but with a due respect life must go on. I have to work every day with lots of different people closer than 6 ft. So does my wife. I work Construction my wife works in a candy plant. We have 3 kids and 2 elderly father's. We still have to work and I appreciate everything twra and other government employees do but there jobs are just as important as ours. Imo they have a job to do so just do it!

scn

Drones would probably work in a limited area. You could probably do a refuge count with one. Unfortunately, most of the counts involve flying over many square miles of area in addition to the refuge/wma holding areas.

Then, when you change the way and area you have been surveying for decades, it makes it worthless data to compare with previous years.

Southern Sportsman

To the extent my comments offended you, scn, I personally apologize. I meant no disrespect. There is room for reasonable people to disagree about Covid and how much it should alter our day-to-day lives and our work. In my job I often sit in an office by myself. But I sometimes have to interact with small or medium size groups. And every morning I drop one kid off for kindergarten and two for daycare. I can't, and don't think I should, cancel those parts of my job and I certainly don't think we should suspend school and childcare services. That doesn't mean I care more about work than I do about my life or my kids' lives. I just think we should continue with life as much as possible despite the existence of Covid.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
Wow, what a bunch of whining about a real first world problem. I truly hope some of the comments in this thread come from ignorance rather than just pure stupidity.

An aerial survey is hardly a Covid risk averse activity. You all do realize that it isn't just a pilot up there counting the waterfowl. It involves a pilot flying the plane at low altitudes while a spotter does the identification and counting. And, there are different spotters used in different parts of the state.

With the current conditions of the covid outbreak, how many of you would want to sit inches away from a non-family member for several hours in a small cockpit breathing and exchanging the same air? There is risk on both sides, but especially for the pilot who would be getting potentially exposed to multiple folks every week. Yes, it sucks that we are missing a years worth of data. But, I would put some people's health above that data. But, that is just me.

And, on the TWRA side, the TWRA pilot retired a couple of months ago after a long and illustrious career. I had the pleasure of hiring her many years ago, and, without a doubt, it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Barbara did a tremendous job for TWRA.

It is my understanding that a new pilot hasn't been hired. With an aging airplane likely in need of replacement sometime soon, I suspect TWRA will evaluate what direction they want to go for aerial services.

Hope you all get to kill some ducks. It is obviously more important to some of you than people's health.
Spoken like a bureaucrat. SCN, I appreciate your previous service to hunters and anglers, but the last several years have been terrible for hunters. Not just duck hunter. Hunters In general. I typically don't hunt the food holes, but have seen them. They're not usually pretty. Remember when they passed, "No net loss of public hunting land." What about the south side of Lock 5? What replaced it? Gallatin Steam Plant? I know that was a TVA decision, but what will replace it? Just a curious hunter wanting to know. Lots of people have had to work with other people for the last year. It's just getting really old to those of us that didn't get the time off, listening to the whole covid excuse.

Last edited:

scn

Spoken like a bureaucrat. SCN, I appreciate your previous service to hunters and anglers, but the last several years have been terrible for hunters. Not just duck hunter. Hunters In general. I typically don't hunt the food holes, but have seen them. They're not usually pretty. Remember when they passed, "No net loss of public hunting land." What about the south side of Lock 5? What replaced it? Gallatin Steam Plant? I know that was a TVA decision, but what will replace it? Just a curious hunter wanting to know. Lots of people have had to work with other people for the last year. It's just getting really old to those of us that didn't get the time off, listening to the whole covid excuse.
You are obviously another that puts ducks ahead of people. It isn't a Covid excuse. It is the reason they have suspended the aerial surveys. I'm sure that the folks that have been doing them for many years don't like it either. But, unfortunately with the attitude from a lot of folks that it is no big deal and no reason to change anything, I don't see it rapidly changing for the better.
Have a great day!

Bgoodman30

I agree the counts are first world but its a service TN license holders have been provided for decades.. The DNS issue did not begin with Covid. IMO its a sorry excuse to just cancel the counts all together like they did at the NWR's. They can make changes and make due like everyone else that still goes to work and takes risk everyday.

Bgoodman30

Another precious ducks before people. Not surprised.

You can still get a burger at Mcdonald's exposing the attendant to hundreds daily. So I guess it's cheeseburgers before people or profit before people..? With all due respect this argument could continue indefinitely..

Granddaddy

Most ground surveillance these days is done by satellite or by aircraft with automated high res photo equipment not individuals doing visual counts. Google earth, county aerial appraisals, etc are all done by satellite or aircraft flying a grid with the automated photographic equipment taking a continuous series of photographs to be uploaded & analysed later. This explanation sounds fishy, especially considering MS & AR are completing & releasing their monthly aerial survey reports.

Bgoodman30

Most ground surveillance these days is done by satellite or by aircraft with automated high res photo equipment not individuals doing visual counts. Google earth, county aerial appraisals, etc are all done by satellite or aircraft flying a grid with the automated photographic equipment taking a continuous series of photographs to be uploaded & analysed later. This explanation sounds fishy, especially considering MS & AR are completing & releasing their monthly aerial survey reports.

Talked to a refuge manager a couple weeks ago he just drove his boat in there and ran them up and they did the counts that way? Not sure how accurate that is. 4 days after the stated date of the count BTW which is kind of important information..

kopter doktor

Laughable about caring more about a duck count than the people doing them. But heck, they are just a government employee, so they are the lowest of the low to a lot of you.

I guess it shows your priorities in life.
chill.........this covid-19 is a farce. I am sick and tired of this china syndrome, being used as a excuse. I will never trust the Government. And never ever take a shot.Wake up sheeppeople.We need to get back on our working feet. And please stop using covid-19.just take back our country.and stop ruining my life

Latest posts