What does it take to shoot accurately?

Harold Money jr

I've been through a few break barrels, a couple webleys .177 and .22, and a couple gamos, the bone collector and the new .22 3rd gen. None of them have shot consistently day to day. I might get a decent group one day, meaning 1" or so at about 30yds, then there's usually a wide flier 2-3" away. I've shot pellets and slugs in the latest gamo sometimes it shoots good then sometimes it doesn't. I feel like I'm a good shot and I'm not flinching. I keep hearing there's a technique to shooting accurately with breakbarrels. So, all knowing folks what do I need to do?

Urban_Hunter

I would suggest watching some videos on the "hold".

On a regular rifle, if you could not touch the rifle besides the trigger, it would make for the most accurate shot… as there would be no input into the chassis of the gun that could be different from shot to shot.

On a break barrel pellet rifle, you have moving parts en mass moving inside the gun itself. Essentially it is more accurate if you can "hold" it still. That doesn't mean to bear hug the gun, as it would be very inconsistent. The best hold is to have the forearm on a rest and to have the stock in a bench hold where your off hand is under the stock… essentially cradling the rear of the stock. It takes practice to be consistent day to day, but my RWS will hold a dime at 35 yards with ease and cheap pellets

Laserman1

Start saving your money and get a Benjamin Marauder. I've had break barrels also( even have one listed now). Got tired of not being accurate all the time. I can now touch pellets at 40 yards, hit 2 inch steel target at same distance, even have steel pots and 50 and 70 yards. Everyone who comes over wants to shoot it and most don't even know how to shoot. No recoil and almost no sound.

Rollo

Join GTA, Gateway to Airguns. It's probably the most informative web forum to the airgun world. Everything you want to know about airguns. There's several tutorials on how to shoot springers. A popular method is the "artillery hold", similar to what is described above. Other factors are projectiles, barrel cleanliness, length, etc. I can attest to the accuracy of the PCP, pre-charged pneumatic (Benji Mrod, Benji Discovery, Airforce anything, etc.). You don't have the mechanical action you get with a springer or gas charged break barrel. But diving down the PCP realm can be a rabbit hole, but very rewarding if you are committed to airguns. You've been warned....

ghostfive

As bad as I hate to say it if you want accuracy and more importantly repeatable accuracy get away from less expensive break barrels and move up to a pcp. Hatsan Flashpup in .22 or .25, mine is .25, are very good especially for the price of around $400. Benjamin has several that are very good in the same price range. FX Dreamtac is a very good platform for around $1100 used which mine was or an FX Maverick is a beast mine has the short 500mm barrel in .22 shooting slugs at 872 fps at 54 fpe.

There are so many rifles to choose from but you will never get sub moa out of less expensive break barrels whereas many pcps are shooting sub moa at 200+ yards.

Attachments

• 20210906_150111.jpg
    20210906_150111.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210905_165320.jpg
    20210905_165320.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210906_145606.jpg
    20210906_145606.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201115_075851.jpg
    20201115_075851.jpg