What do I have here?

LanceS4803

I've had these pieces for decades, believe they came from Middle TN.
Can someone give me some information on what they are?

IMG_4100.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4102.JPG
    IMG_4102.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 119

Creek

Some awesome looking pieces you have there.

Im probably one of the worst ones on here to help but I believe...
#1 Adze (great example)
#2 - ?
#3 & 4 look close to being Lost Lakes types
#5 - really need the base for ID

I really like that quarts inclusion on #3.

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

I'm not much help on the ID....but you have some nice pieces....thanks for sharing....I love and appreciate seeing nice artifacts..... motivation to keep looking.

Lost Lake

Number 1 is either an adze (look for bit polish) or a preform, number 3 could be a Lost Lake if the left side edges are beveled. If not, it's a Kirk Corner Notch, along with the others.

Nice points.

Crow Terminator

The bottom points look like Kirks to me too. Even if one is a lost lake it's still in the kirk cluster/family. I don't see a bevel from the picture so I'm saying Kirks.

The top one...I was flipping back and forth between your first picture and the second one. In one picture it looks like an adze but the second picture (showing the opposite sides) TO ME it looks like it at one point, it had a base and has been fractured and anciently reworked into something else. In picture 2 you can see the notches. I would just call it a big blade. Looks like fort payne material. Anyways you cut it, nice pieces.

Creek

What exactly is a lost lake?
Most all projectiles/blades have identification name (i.e. Lost Lake) that corresponds with the way that particular artifact is shaped, formed, and flaked.
After clicking the link below, you can scroll down to see pictures of this particular artifact named Lost Lake.

Lost Lake

What exactly is a lost lake?

Lost Lakes are part of the Kirk Cluster of points. Early Archaic in age, and mainly found in the the East Central region of the US.

They are named after the type site itself, which is in Limestone county Alabama.

They are broad, deeply corner notched blades made from higher grades of raw chert, and usually possess excellent craftsmanship. They are known as "beveled" points because of the resharpening process, which entailed pressure flaking the left hand side of each face until the point was used up. It produced a rhomboid cross section and gives a distinctive look.

Use- wear analysis shows that they were used as knives.

Here is a reproduction that I knapped.

Attachments

• 29B378D3-5F2B-45DF-A2A2-1534B5860843.jpeg
    29B378D3-5F2B-45DF-A2A2-1534B5860843.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Last edited: