What did this bird eat?

megalomaniac

Here's the contents of the crop of the bird I killed last day of the MS season. He was roosted on our lease, about 100y from the property line. I lost contact from him for about an hour to an hour and a half as the hunt progressed, then killed him around 1100am.

Some kind of bean, almost looks like white beans that would have been planted in a garden, but it's probably 1500yds to the nearest house where someone might have a garden. Killed him 250y from a plot on the neighboring property, but I cannot imagine someone would bait with bean seeds when corn is so much cheaper... so I don't think it's bait. Is there anything native producing seed this time of the year??? I'm perplexed. Based on the condition of the beans, he must have gobbled them up the morning I killed him, not the evening before I would think. The smaller grass seeds, probably wheat from the plots we disked a week before

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-154223_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-154223_Gallery.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 140

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Here's the contents of the crop of the bird I killed last day of the MS season. He was roosted on our lease, about 100y from the property line. I lost contact from him for about an hour to an hour and a half as the hunt progressed, then killed him around 1100am.

Some kind of bean, almost looks like white beans that would have been planted in a garden, but it's probably 1500yds to the nearest house where someone might have a garden. Killed him 250y from a plot on the neighboring property, but I cannot imagine someone would bait with bean seeds when corn is so much cheaper... so I don't think it's bait. Is there anything native producing seed this time of the year??? I'm perplexed. Based on the condition of the beans, he must have gobbled them up the morning I killed him, not the evening before I would think. The smaller grass seeds, probably wheat from the plots we disked a week before
Rinse it off and chew on it.

megalomaniac

prob not but could it possibly be a nut sedge tuber?
good thought! I never considered something under the ground, and we had disked up several fall plots to get ready for summer plots. There is a bit of nutsedge here locally. When I opened the crop, I just immediately thought it was a bean of some sort.

Latest posts