What a week...

MickThompson

Today was the 3rd day in the row we've had some flash floods. I wish this rain would even out a little. I got caught on the road in a toad strangler yesterday and could barely see the lines. Water was 6" deep in the lowest spot in my garden but drained out quickly. The moles and voles aren't very happy right now. The creek jumped the bank and reclaimed its old channel scar for a few hours before the flooding subsided.

Man what a storm this evening. Just as I pulled in the driveway, it rolled in on me. Sideways rain, marble sized hail, and an incredible lightning storm. Wind was howling out of the NE based on how the corn laid down. All my peppers and maters laid down and had to be propped back up, and my entire pea trellis will have to be rebuilt. Thankfully they were just barely starting to climb and I shouldn't lose much of the crop. Sheet water was rolling down through the garden today as the ground cannot hold any more.

The good news- I replanted beans, peas, and squash monday morning. They were already pushing up through the soil by yesterday afternoon.

WTM

at least you got rain, we are in a drought here. ive been having to water but very sparingly because im afraid of running well dry until it rains again.

catman529

Dang that's rough. We got the storm last night too, but everything is growing well and standing up tall. Great timing since my cantaloupes are growing fruit right now and I don't have to drag buckets of water from the pond to the pumpkin patch.

MickThompson

We were in a drought for May and most of June, so I can relate. The creek behind my house ran dry twice already and it's never even been close to dry in the 4 years we've lived here. I grew my best early crop of beans yet in spite of it, and I attribute that to the cover crops and no-till planting. I just hope we get it in reasonable doses, it's been all or nothing this summer.