What a Season to Remember

Grizzly Johnson

What a season… 1st year to have a property where I could put out mineral licks and run trailcams… to see what's in the area. I took my biggest weight buck to date back in muzzleloader season and today was my 1st hunting season where I took a 2nd antlered buck in the hunting season. It was even more special in the fact I used a rifle my grandfather set up to use on some youth hunts back in my early teenage years of deer hunting (68 JM stamped Marlin 30-30 336RC). I set a goal to take a deer with this rifle, if possible using the open sights... Things have a funny way of coming together when you least expect it and this deer was on the hitlist. I have only seen him one other time in person which was during muzzleloader season and he was just too far away for a comfortable shot. Today I accomplished that goal.... A buddy loaded me some ammo for it using some bullets from my dads reloading stuff, which I acquired after his passing back in September.

I was sitting on stand and decided to just go all in since this is the last week and rain is in the forecast later in the week. I made a few grunts on a grunt tube, followed by a couple of doe bleats from one of those little can calls. Then I did a couple of snort/wheezes with my mouth. Got settled in and not 30 seconds he pops out of the woods into a gap.... I whistled to stop him and settled the crosshairs... 50yd shot and he went maybe 25yds. more and piled up. I'm sure my dad and granddaddy were watching over things... it was a little emotional. He started out a 9pt, but during the rut broke a browtine off…. weighed 165 on the hoof.

I will include my heaviest to date deer I took during this past muzzleloader season.... nice 8pt that fielddressed @ 170 lbs ...

Attachments

• IMG_2549[1].JPG
    IMG_2549[1].JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_2552[1].JPG
    IMG_2552[1].JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2285[1].JPG
    IMG_2285[1].JPG
    580.6 KB · Views: 343
  • AADY6115[1].JPG
    AADY6115[1].JPG
    534.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2423[1].JPG
    IMG_2423[1].JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 343

trout

Awesome! Congratulations on a great buck and an even better story. I lost my father on Veterans Day. I can relate with the emotions. Ironically, I have a Marlin 30-30 that was passed down from my father. Taking a buck with it is still on my list.

Blessed man

What a season… 1st year to have a property where I could put out mineral licks and run trailcams… to see what's in the area. I took my biggest weight buck to date back in muzzleloader season and today was my 1st hunting season where I took a 2nd antlered buck in the hunting season. It was even more special in the fact I used a rifle my grandfather set up to use on some youth hunts back in my early teenage years of deer hunting (68 JM stamped Marlin 30-30 336RC). I set a goal to take a deer with this rifle, if possible using the open sights... Things have a funny way of coming together when you least expect it and this deer was on the hitlist. I have only seen him one other time in person which was during muzzleloader season and he was just too far away for a comfortable shot. Today I accomplished that goal.... A buddy loaded me some ammo for it using some bullets from my dads reloading stuff, which I acquired after his passing back in September.

I was sitting on stand and decided to just go all in since this is the last week and rain is in the forecast later in the week. I made a few grunts on a grunt tube, followed by a couple of doe bleats from one of those little can calls. Then I did a couple of snort/wheezes with my mouth. Got settled in and not 30 seconds he pops out of the woods into a gap.... I whistled to stop him and settled the crosshairs... 50yd shot and he went maybe 25yds. more and piled up. I'm sure my dad and granddaddy were watching over things... it was a little emotional. He started out a 9pt, but during the rut broke a browtine off…. weighed 165 on the hoof.

I will include my heaviest to date deer I took during this past muzzleloader season.... nice 8pt that fielddressed @ 170 lbs ...
Congratulations

Blessed man

Congratulations on 2 nice bucks

Latest posts