What’s the dirt on the 257 Roberts?

MickThompson

Besides issues of limited off the shelf ammo? The good, bad, quirks? I've been looking for a compact left handed woods rifle and may have found one to fit the bill with a little work.

DaveB

Barrel life is supposedly pretty short. Not so sure the ballistics back up those claims, particularly compared with 25-06 and 257 Roy.

If seller does not handload I would wager the rifle is in good shape, assuming no rust.

I know some folks who are real fans of the quarter caliber family.

I'd go for it so long as barrel is good.

TiminTN

It's based off the 7mm Mauser case so it's not a rocket ship and will be very good on barrel life, so get some 117 Sierra's and some H4831 Shortcut and thank me later.

Hunter 257W

It's a great deer cartridge. Mild recoil yet big enough to do the job well. I'd like to eventually get one since I already have a 25-06 and 257 Weatherby. As TiminTn mentioned, it's a former wildcat based on the 7 mm Mauser. Would be great with 100 grain bullets such as the Nosler Ballistic tip since it's velocity is relatively low so that bullet blowup shouldn't be a problem.

Tiny

Only dirt on the Bob is the fact fsctory ammo is a bit under loaded. N its normally on short actions n short throats which rob it of potential with bullets over a 110 grs due to seating depth.Have heard of exceptions to this but not encountered yet anyways. Factory did this for the short varmint bullets something I havent shot in mine.
Have had 2 A Ruger Ultra Light n Win XTR still have it.. Both liked 120 partition n IMR 4831 .. have played with a few other recipes here n there but not enough.
est Factory load if still made Federal 120 Partition just under 2700 in both..handload 2900 n no pressure signs.

billc1952

I have a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved and really love it. 120 gr Sierra and IMR 4320 2950 fps. I know I could go faster, but this load shoots so well I hate to mess with it. I would recommend the Roberts for deer and varmints.

Latest posts