What’s everyone’s choice on best SUV

Tn_Va_Hunter

My wife drives 2019 voltswagon atlas. Compact. 3 rows. Back seat folds down. Several bells and whistles. But you can get a toned down version. Drives great. Gets 22-25 mpg. Rides great. Lots of safety features. I’m a big fan of it.

Tenntrapper

No. No. No.

What's next, a Lamborghini station wagon?
The Rambo Lambo..about 30 years ago. And yes, it had the V-12.
You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Teacher

I have an 05 Tacoma with 147,000 on it and also have an 05 4-Runner with 110,000 on it. Both vehicles fit me to a Tee! I drove the Tacoma for years as my everyday driver but needed something for longer drives with my family. I found the 4-Runner with 92,000 on it and couldn't have made a better choice. Never turned a bolt on either one of the vehicles. I have owned the Tacoma for 13 years and the 4-Runner for 3 years. My wife does not like the Toyota line, as she prefers the smaller Lincolns.

By the way, this is the fifth Tacoma I have owned. I usually get offered a price that I cant turn down and sell. Now is not a good time to be buying one as prices are out the roof.

Huntaholic

Drove the wifes 4runner today, first time in a few weeks that Ive drove it. It brought a few more critical things to mind that were important to me.
1. Full body on frame construction.
2. A REAL transmission.
3. TRUE 4 wheel drive.
4. Solid rear axle.
5. Rear wheel drive until 4x4 is engaged.
6. A towing package that can actually tow something.
A 4runner checks ALL of these boxes. Ive always been a GM person, we have never bought anything new that wasn't a GM until the 1st 4runner in '19. GM just doesn't make anything less than a Tahoe that is a real 4x4 and rear wheel drive. We looked at and drove them all.

Antler Daddy

Supporter
My wife’s 2011 Mercedes GL350 rides pretty good. I paid 13000 three years ago at 155k. Older couple from Birmingham drove it and had all the expensive repairs with the air shocks already completed. A Bosch Alternator repair got me for 1000, but it is going strong at 210k. Already got new warranty airbag replacements and now need to replace some fuel thing. It seems MB rigged the emissions tests and there was a class action suit. Lawyers get rich and I get $3200 check after I have the dealer fix for free. So far, this vehicle has been a great deal.

I think it gets about 23-25 mpg on highway and about 20 in town. Sucker is heavy and has some torque for sure. Wife drives it like its a wild bronco while I prefer to ease it around and still make the same time.

Last edited:

Antler Daddy

Supporter
I’m driving a loaded 2008 Mazda mX-9 now. It is very roomy and comfy with all the amenities and sunroof. Deer, mini bikes, boat, camper, trailers, and all easily ride on my hitch carriers. The wife and kids hate it. The kids are going to drive it in high school they just take don’t know it yet.

I paid 6500 in 2019 with 140k on it. No repairs yet.gas mpg is terrible...maybe 18 on the highway.

My next vehicle will be a good used white 4Runner or Lexus, or a 4 door Jeep. I may even get a convertible MB, BMW, Volvo, or Audi. For some reason convertibles can be found a lot cheaper than a Jeep and the wind in your hair feels just as good.

Last edited:

Displaced_Vol

Yup.....official vehicle of the LPGA and WNBA, for sure!

But seriously though, Subaru has stepped their game up beyond the Outback. It's worth looking into.
TAFKAP beat me to it, we got the Ascent a couple years ago and have been real happy with it. 30ish mpg, good amount of room and easy to climb in and out of which is a plus.

As of yet I do not have a man bun nor do I display any flags that would cause my ancestors roll over in their graves…if you all notice me start posting BS in the political forum then disregard this advice and stay away from Subaru!

Honda Pilot was a close second but we liked the Subaru better for less money. Grandmother has a newer RAV4 and it seems nice too but it is very small. I’ve always loved 4runners and drove my sister in laws for a while during their time overseas. They’re great but at that price point depending on family size I might spring for the Tahoe.

Mattt

We have a 4Runner. Little small and I have yet to see a newer suv that has good visibility. Wife likes it and I bought for he same reasons, still a real truck with frame tow cap,true 4wd. If I could get her to drive a half ton truck I’d do that instead. For me the purchase has a lot to do with safety. I fee better knowing she has a vehicle with some mass and steel instead of the unibody stuff. We had an explorer I guess 2011 or 2012 it was the newer body then unibody. Pure junk and I’m a ford guy worst purchase I ever made. She drove it two years and I took a bath to get rid of it and bought the yota. First one for me and it’s ok for her but not for me.

ImThere

My wife’s 2011 Mercedes GL350 rides pretty good. I paid 13000 three years ago at 155k. Older couple from Birmingham drove it and had all the expensive repairs with the air shocks already completed. A Bosch Alternator repair got me for 1000, but it is going strong at 210k. Already got new warranty airbag replacements and now need to replace some fuel thing. It seems MB rigged the emissions tests and there was a class action suit. Lawyers get rich and I get $3200 check after I have the dealer fix for free. So far, this vehicle has been a great deal.

I think it gets about 23-25 mpg on highway and about 20 in town. Sucker is heavy and has some torque for sure. Wife drives it like its a wild bronco while I prefer to ease it around and still make the same time.
We did the same thing with a Mercedes R350 it’s an all wheel drive station wagon. It has impressive 4wd capabilities with street tire.

Ladys man

I’m driving a loaded 2008 Mazda mX-9 now. It is very roomy and comfy with all the amenities and sunroof. Deer, mini bikes, boat, camper, trailers, and all easily ride on my hitch carriers. The wife and kids hate it. The kids are going to drive it in high school they just take don’t know it yet.

I paid 6500 in 2019 with 140k on it. No repairs yet.gas mpg is terrible...maybe 18 on the highway.

My next vehicle will be a good used white 4Runner or Lexus, or a 4 door Jeep. I may even get a convertible MB, BMW, Volvo, or Audi. For some reason convertibles can be found a lot cheaper than a Jeep and the wind in your hair feels just as good.
My wife likes the body lines on the Mazda but I’ll let her read this thanks.
She test drove a Lexus 350 and loved it.

4Low

RX350 has a lot of “body roll.” Just something I noticed when my wife had one.
Test drive it again and take it down a curvy road. She enjoys the 4runner a lot more.
GL to both of ya’ll.

chrmayo

Supporter
The wife has a 17 Lexus nx200t it’s a smaller suv but we love it. Handles great gets good gas mileage and will flat out fly if you need it to. We bought it from my cousin that bought it new and got it waaaay under blue book. Highly recommend.

Latest posts