What’s everyone’s choice on best SUV

Ladys man

My wife will be upgrading soon so we are looking. Not really wanting full size like a Tahoe but more on mid size.
She’s interested in the rav4, cr-v, and the rogue.
I’d rather her look into the cherokee but it’s not my choice lol.
Shes wanting to get 25mpg and still have room for kids and sports stuff.
Whats the real world opinion?

Kirk

Supporter
My wife has a 2016 Rav 4. She likes it but it is just too small for me. Very hard to see out of for her. Blind spot is fairly large. Last winter she was getting her Rav 4 fixed after hitting a deer, she drove a rental she loved. It was a GMC Acadia she could see out of it had lots more room. Sets up higher and she could see better and felt safer. We haven't bought a larger one yet because basically she is cheap and doesn't want to buy another one right now.

BMan

Daughter had a Hyundai Tucson, which is the same class as the three you mention. Great performance and ride, unbelievable reliability, only shortcoming was a head-on collision that totaled it out - and she walked away from. Much easier on the wallet as well.

backyardtndeer

Depends on whether you want full sized or mid sized or compact. I like our Durango more than the Yukon we had. With the hemi it actually has a higher towing capacity, on paper, than my 98 Chevy k2500.

Think in the mid to small, the Toyotas are probably the most durable and probably the most reliable. They get decent fuel economy too.

cbhunter

Supporter
Daughter had a Hyundai Tucson, which is the same class as the three you mention. Great performance and ride, unbelievable reliability, only shortcoming was a head-on collision that totaled it out - and she walked away from. Much easier on the wallet as well.
Man i drove one of those to Panama city beach last year and loved that thing. It has an "auto steer" option that was VERY nice. It would take curves and all. Nooooo, i did not sleep behind the wheel. lol

I kept my hands on the wheel and eyes on the rode but it was pretty effortless

JCDEERMAN

My wife has a Toyota Highlander. She loves it. I actually like it and Toyota in general so much, I wanted to go get a new Tundra (it was time for an upgrade). I just couldn't get over the poor gas mileage on them, so I made another choice.

cbhunter

Supporter
Drove a Rav4 for 10 days or so when they replaced the frame under my Tacoma last year. I really liked it a lot but it is on the smaller side. I'm 6' and it wasn't TOO tight though, it was doable. But i never had anyone in the seat behind me either. I would steer clear of the rogue unless they have improved the trans recently. I think they are CVT belt driven. Never owned one but have seen others furious with theirs.

Jcalder

Supporter
My wife has a 2018 Kia Sorento. 3rd row. 24.5 mpg. Awd. It’s done great so far. She wanted a highlander, but the Kia was about $15k cheaper, but won’t hold the resale value a Toyota would either.

slabhead

My work currently owns 9 RAV4s and we've been running RAV's for the last 15+ years...our drivers average around 25k miles pre year...maintenance other than oil changes is pretty low with them. They also have a good resale value when you decide to sell. With the new ones 2020 & 2021 we are averaging around 32mpg.

Snake

Supporter
Toyota Four Runner by far . Toyota's resell value best in market . You can probably get the Eco engine and get 20+ mpg, thats what my wife has . Rugged yet comfortable , next choice I guess would be Nissan Pathfinder which should be considerably cheaper even the Rogue but don't pull anything with the Rogue. Tons of problems with the tranny .

Last edited: