Weston Slicer 7.5"

TN Whitetail Freak

used it for the first time today.....it was kind of aggravating

there is a gap between the deck the meat lays on that pushes back and forth and teh sliding adjustable plate and when i go to slice it the meat falls in this crack and only slices the top side of the meat instead of a full slice from top to bottom.....also i was having trouble with the blade grabbing the meat and rolling it up off the sliding deck...anything i can do to prevent the blade from grabbing the meat and spinning it up....the gap will need a modification to close it and prevent it from falling down.

TAFKAP

Dang, I wish I could've saved you some trouble. i'm not a fan of mine, either. But I don't think it's damning of Weston slicers in particular, as much as it is for public-consumption machines. The motors don't have enough ass, the blades build heat, and the sliding tray sucks. I think they're mostly intended for already-cooked deli meats and such. They're no good for raw meat preparation, or large fatty cuts such as slab bacon. I wish I had saved my time and gone for a surplus commercial-grade Hobart.

TAFKAP

I wonder how much better it would be if the motor could be re-wired to turn the blade downard, instead. Seems like it would make it more stable.

JimFromTN

TAFKAP":27w2lyhw said:
Dang, I wish I could've saved you some trouble. i'm not a fan of mine, either. But I don't think it's damning of Weston slicers in particular, as much as it is for public-consumption machines. The motors don't have enough *****, the blades build heat, and the sliding tray sucks. I think they're mostly intended for already-cooked deli meats and such. They're no good for raw meat preparation, or large fatty cuts such as slab bacon. I wish I had saved my time and gone for a surplus commercial-grade Hobart.

Thats why I have not bought one yet. No sense in getting one if its not professional grade. Of course, you have to have some serious counter space for it. The $100 slicers are good for bread.

catman529

Re: Weston Slicer 7.5"

Snowwolfe":q8xnvb5x said:
Wrangler95":q8xnvb5x said:
Probably would help if your meat was slightly frozen!

What he said. Soft chilled meat doesn't slice worth a hoot
even on my commercial 12" slicer the raw meat rolls around pretty bad. I still got good jerky slices, but with more wasted meat in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX300mag

Poser":1vv9wfya said:
I had a consumer grade slicer, used it once and it left it at my old house when we moved. Give me a sharp knife and I can do a much better job. They just don't cut raw meat well, they get hot and heat up the meat and they suck to sterilize. They should be fine for slicing deli meat.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

I learned this the hard way, too. After using a larger commercial slicer, I bought a consumer grade for $20 at a flea market (don't think it had ever been used). Nowhere close to the same. It's ok for taters, vegetables, and cured or cooked meat but I'm back to the knife for jerky meat.

catman529

Try it at least half frozen so it is stiff, it slices much better that way.

Latest posts