Western Kansas DIY Hunt Advice

drumngobble

Me and a buddy are looking into heading to Western Kansas this fall for a Whitetail hunt. We are looking at the rifle hunt the first week of December. Do any of you guys have any advice or past experiences with hunting Western Kansas? We don't plan on using an outfitter, we just want it to be a DIY hunt on public land. We usually go out to Montana but have decided to change things up this year and try something different. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AT Hiker

I have hunted the early muzzleloader season a couple times, wouldnt do that unless I was very close to do some serious scouting of food sources.

KS has some public lands but not like your used to in MT. I suggest getting a OnX Maps app and researching the areas along with the states atlas. Some of those lakes could produce but the pressure might be a little bit heavy, those smaller walk in areas next to some quality land might be a hidden jewel, especially if they are more "upland bird" habitat.

Mule deer tags are very hard to get, I wouldnt waste my time unless I had private to hunt for them.
KS is a draw and you pick two adjoining units, the rifle tag only gets you in the rifle season. The muzzle loader hunt allows for the early season and the rifle season (but your stuck using a muzzle loader during rifle).
I would also consider a turkey hunt this Spring to get some boots on the ground scouting done. OTC turkey tags too.

drumngobble

Thanks AT Hiker, the turkey hunt is actually a really good idea, we may do that just so we don't go at it completely blind this fall. We dont mind having to walk long distances to get away from other hunters, that's one of the tricks we picked up hunting MT. Thanks again and if you have any other advice just send me a PM

Latest posts