West TN Rut

gatodoc

Was fortunate enough to get to hunt some quality private land in Fayette Co. the last 4 days. Saw young bucks everywhere, heard some sparing and saw new scrapes being started. There were 2 8 points killed and they had stained tarsals, but didn't have the strong smell of a full rut buck and necks weren't swelled out. I think that area (western edge) is still a week or so out from full rut....

Mike Belt

I don't think there's any doubt the rut is going on along the Hardeman/Fayette County line. Bucks are chasing and some hunters are reporting smelling them before seeing them because they're so rutty. It still seems strange because some bucks just seem disinterested in the rut. The biggest percentage of scrapes aren't being tended but at the same time there are fresh scrapes. I watched an 8 pointer work one yesterday morning. One of my cameras over a great scrape site still gets pics. I had 8 different bucks working the biggest scrape but over the last week nothing but does on camera. Every buck I've seen over the last week has just been casually walking along browsing and not the least bit interested in any does' path they may cross. Some of the bucks I've glassed don't have the darkened hocks like those that are fired up. Strange.

duckduck84

This has been a great year for seeing deer for me in general, but haven't seen any rut activity in person or on cam. I'd love to see something before it's over.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

NSA

I haven't been back to my place in Fayette since Saturday, but plan on possibly going out there in the morning before work. I know I saw 3 different bucks chasing a doe on Saturday afternoon. A friend of mine on the farm beside us was covered up with tons of deer Sunday morning and witnessed lots of chasing and rut activity. Hopefully one of these big boys will show up for each of us soon.

Duck84,

Congrats on the doe yesterday!

duckduck84

NSA":2j267cpd said:
I haven't been back to my place in Fayette since Saturday, but plan on possibly going out there in the morning before work. I know I saw 3 different bucks chasing a doe on Saturday afternoon. A friend of mine on the farm beside us was covered up with tons of deer Sunday morning and witnessed lots of chasing and rut activity. Hopefully one of these big boys will show up for each of us soon.

Duck84,

Congrats on the doe yesterday!
Hopefully so! Good luck to you and thanks!

volsgo1

Hunt outsid of Somerville and we are seeing tons of rubs and scrapes and lots of little bucks roaming but few does and nothing big so far. I think the warm weather has them doing whatever they are doing at night. All my camera pics are from night time movement right now.

NSA

Hunted my farm on the Fayette / Hardeman county line this morning and saw 10 deer from daylight until about 9:30. 8 doe and two bucks. Both bucks were chasing. One spike and the other was a very large bodied busted up 6pt. Or at least he would've been I reckon. It appeared he was missing his left main beam.

With the amount of deer I was seeing, I hated I couldn't sit all day.

duckduck84

NSA":233gx44s said:
Hunted my farm on the Fayette / Hardeman county line this morning and saw 10 deer from daylight until about 9:30. 8 doe and two bucks. Both bucks were chasing. One spike and the other was a very large bodied busted up 6pt. Or at least he would've been I reckon. It appeared he was missing his left main beam.

With the amount of deer I was seeing, I hated I couldn't sit all day.
That sounds promising!

NSA

Yeah, it seems like things are definitely in full swing out there right now for my area. While driving out of the area I saw what looked to be a stud on one of the nearby farms running a doe like crazy.

Surely over the next few days it will be a few more good ones take a dirt nap.