Went old school last night

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Made me feel like I was 12 again.
Salmon patties fried good and crispy with salt added after cooking.
Mashed taters.
Absolutely amazing!!

My office mates are gonna hate me at lunch but I don't care. I made myself save 2 for lunch.
E43A2737-FD34-4EAB-A13D-754EDAAB79FC.jpeg

DaveB

I wonder how many of these I ate growing up. thousands at least.

My Dad did the cooking...Mom burned them every time.

Dad would take a package of Nabisco saltine crackers and hand crunch them into near-dust (first he would take 3 big squares and make a milk & cracker desert) then mix with salmon and two eggs. Don't see the big squares any more.

Thanks for the memories.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

Dad would take a package of Nabisco saltine crackers and hand crunch them into near-dust (first he would take 3 big squares and make a milk & cracker desert) then mix with salmon and two eggs. Don't see the big squares any more.

Thanks for the memories.
Yep, I miss the big squares.
Lots of memories for sure.

rifle02

Thanks for the memories.
I had totally forgotten about those big squares!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Looks good. Do you have a recipe? I have never made any myself.
I just take a can of salmon, throw in 1 egg and a pretty big handful of Ritz crackers and mush them all together.
Some people use flour.
Then after it's thick enough to stay together I make the patty and then coat it in more crushed crackers.
Fry till good and crispy!!

DaveB

Looks good. Do you have a recipe? I have never made any myself.
Here is one I would start with......

notice Brown uses crumbs. We used salted top crackers. Crunch them into teeny pieces. One can of tuna, we did not use 4 eggs, we used two for sure. Take the salmon and use two forks and tear the fish into pieces. Mix in eggs (My Dad would beat them senseless before he added them in) Then add in stuff---we added in onion. chopped fine. Never put mustard.....no salt...no lemon juice...no pepper. I bet the ritz crackers would be good. Make a pattie---we made them about 2-3 inches in diameter maybe 3/8 thick or less. (7 kids what else ya gonna do). COver the patty in crumbs.. Fry till they look like what RUGER displayed and they dont fall apart. When my Dad wasn't looking I would dip in Worcestershire sauce.

Jon

Here is one I would start with......

notice Brown uses crumbs. We used salted top crackers. Crunch them into teeny pieces. One can of tuna, we did not use 4 eggs, we used two for sure. Take the salmon and use two forks and tear the fish into pieces. Mix in eggs (My Dad would beat them senseless before he added them in) Then add in stuff---we added in onion. chopped fine. Never put mustard.....no salt...no lemon juice...no pepper. I bet the ritz crackers would be good. Make a pattie---we made them about 2-3 inches in diameter maybe 3/8 thick or less. (7 kids what else ya gonna do). COver the patty in crumbs.. Fry till they look like what RUGER displayed and they dont fall apart. When my Dad wasn't looking I would dip in Worcestershire sauce.
Thanks Dave.

DaveB

My Mom was born & raised in Perth, Australia. Mom kinda had a problem with cooking most anything. One of her best was leg of lamb. Dad would sniff it in the store and define it as an old ram, old ewe, or young ewe. Mom would bake it perfect. Yes, you could smell it a fair piece upwind. I would slice it about 3/8 thick, horseradish mustard, thick cut white onions, take it to work. The complaints were awesome.

True story....memory bank opened up this slid to the front...
It was 1965, close to Christmas. I had my lamb sammich in a bag next to my chair. This guy, my Supervisor, was Jewish, a freak mathematician, hysterically funny, walks by, stops, takes a deep whiff and turns to look at me and says " how do you get past the smell? and I said, Smell never bothers me.
Jewish buddy sees some ladies turning purple and says you wanna try that again? I said nope. He goes off grinning and was my best friend for many years.

The ladies we will not discuss.

volboy

I just take a can of salmon, throw in 1 egg and a pretty big handful of Ritz crackers and mush them all together.
Some people use flour.
Then after it's thick enough to stay together I make the patty and then coat it in more crushed crackers.
Fry till good and crispy!!
Love them. But instead of flour or crackers we always used cornmeal. Always have cornbread, brown(pinto) beans, and either mac and cheese or mashed taters. Always have a couple left over for sandwich next day.