Went for a Triple and only got a Double!

Joe2Kool

Scouting the last couple of weeks paid off! Check out the birds on the roost in the first pic. They had been coming into the pasture so that's where we put the blind. Two gobblers in the group. Was hoping to get a "one, two BOOM!" double with Cameron. But they came by where only Cameron could get a shot. With about a dozen hens only 20-25 yards away, I didn't risk trying to reposition, so Cam dropped one of the gobblers at 48 yards. The LongBeard XR's put a hurting on him! Cam's first gobbler!

After the flock scattered, I put out a couple of decoys to hopefully pull 'em back in. About an hour later, a bird responded from the top of the hill, that we can't hunt. He went silent but we heard him in the leaves and saw him coming down the hill. About 5 minutes later, his big red head was coming through the fence towards us, with plans to put a hurting on the jake decoy. At 27 yards, he got some LongBeard XR's as well. My bird was 23#, 1-1/4" spurs, 10" beard. Cam's was 21, 1, and 10.

Greg had been in the woods about 200 yards away, with birds gobbling all around him most of the morning. We were hoping we could pull off a triple, but he couldn't close the deal.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 142