well, what do you know

huvrman

In 1978, At the age of 14, I shot my first gobbler using a box call given to me by my Dad. It wouldn't be until 2014, and after many years in the military that I took my second gobbler using that same call. After taking birds in 2015 and 2016, I ended up losing my cherished box call and heirloom when it fell out of my coat pocket during an early morning hunt. I searched and searched that year, retracing my steps, but never found it. And every subsequent year I always made time to look for it when I was in the area, but to no avail. So, today I'm chasing a hard to catch gobbler and decide to make a big loop around the end of a ridge. Well, I never could get the gobbler to come in. After deciding I'd head home for the day, I start the climb to the top of the ridge, taking the more strenuous but more direct route. As I look down to plant my foot for the first push up the steep slope, I step directly over my long lost Lynch World Champion Turkey Call. Still confined in its after market carrying case it was soaked from last week's rain but not warped, rotted, or eaten by rodents. Aside from a nest of ants that seemed to enjoy the dark interior, it looked to be in good shape, with just a little fading of the exposed parts. What a treat to regain my old faithful call from my childhood. Can't wait to get it completely dried out, chalked up, back in my vest, and into the Turkey woods once again. Below are the pics of this classic.

Attachments

• lynch turkey call.jpg
    lynch turkey call.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 274
  • lynch turley call.jpg
    lynch turley call.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Southern Sportsman

Best post I've read in a while. That is awesome. I can't believe it hadn't succumbed to the elements over 5 years on the woods floor. Post a pic of it if you can.

I can't wait to see a gobbler picture with it.

Andy S.

Man, talk about good fortune, you had it on that hunt. Your perseverance and dedication to always look for it sticks out to me as well. Thanks for sharing with the group.

fairchaser

That's a miracle after 5 years. I dropped a range finder out of my pocket and found it after only a few days and it was completely chewed up by some rodent. Thank your lucky stars.

huvrman

Best post I've read in a while. That is awesome. I can't believe it hadn't succumbed to the elements over 5 years on the woods floor. Post a pic of it if you can.

I can't wait to see a gobbler picture with it.
Pics added to the original post.

MR Yote

WOW!! I'm still is disbelief, can't imagine it not rotting or being chewed up by a mouse or squirrel. Big congrats on finding that lost treasure. Good luck this season.

megalomaniac

wow, almost unimaginable it would still be in working condition after 5 years in the woods. Even if it doesn't sound right, it's still a great find and heirloom!

Latest posts