Well that worked out

cecil30-30

Been hunting this property for 15-16 years it has a small 3-4 acre over grown field that gets bush hogged every 3-5 years. I have always hunted it but have never ever hunted it in the morning. Have killed quite a few deer out of it. Thought last night that I'd give it a short morning hunt this morning, this late in the game, it couldn't hurt anything. It has really blew my mind at how much the deer are using this field in the mornings. As of 10 am I have seen 8 does, a button buck and small spike for a total of 10 deer. I didn't shoot one but I feel this was a successful hunt and it showed me that this could be a good morning spot. Even took a cell phone video of the small spike and one of the does fighting. May post it in a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

csi-tech

Re: Well that worked out

We had a cattle farm back in the 80's that has completely grown over. We have 250 acres of old growth timber (mostly oak) and 50 acres of briers, sumac and crap. The overgrowth is the bedding area for the entire region as everyone else has manicured, green fields. The deer love it. This season was insane with rutting activity and movement like I have never seen. It was just like in my dreams. I tagged out with a total of 240 inches of antler between a 10 and an 8. I am already dying to hunt next year.

Point being: That thick, nasty, impenetrable junk is deer heaven.

JeepKuntry

On another subject, do you wanna team up and do some scouting one day on the lease? I have only went to the main area. I'd like to go over to Burrville and see that part of the lease. Shoot me a text if you may want to do this one weekend when the temps are 45-50 degrees.

bobbuck

JeepKuntry":2zh5869p said:
On another subject, do you wanna team up and do some scouting one day on the lease? I have only went to the main area. I'd like to go over to Burrville and see that part of the lease. Shoot me a text if you may want to do this one weekend when the temps are 45-50 degrees.
Are you on the lease that they are cutting the new power line?

JeepKuntry

bob, I am on the same lease as Cecil up in Sunbright. I haven't heard of a new power line, but I'm all for it. It will make another access point.

TheLBLman

muddyboots":12waoix3 said:
Love overgrown fields.
Me, too, and realize a 2 to 5-yr-old clearcut is basically just that :)

csi-tech":12waoix3 said:
Point being: That thick, nasty, impenetrable junk is deer heaven.
Exactly!

In my hunting areas, right now the deer will hardly step into a pasture, crop field, or food plot until after dark. But those 2 to 5-yr-old clear-cuts are chock full of deer and deer food. This past weekend I had experiences very similar to Cecil's. Was wanting to shoot a doe, but it can be much harder to actually "see" a doe in some of these places, even when they're there in good numbers and moving around right in front of you. On the other hand, the bucks were much easier to see, mainly because of their antlers sticking up, flashing in the sunshine as they fed on honeysuckle, and in part because they simply stood taller than the does.

bobbuck

They are cutting a new power line from Sunbright across Burrville rd connecting the new substation on Brewstertown rd. It is going through the big pine plantation on Burrville Rd, that I think is a hunting lease, so if this is your lease you are going to have some great spots for food plots. Just make sure they cannot be seen from the road!

rem270

All I have hunted since I was 9 are cut CRP fields. When I got old enough to do it on my own and feel as I got more knowledge to hunting decided to start leaving some grass standing and mow strips through the CRP or around the edges. Amazing how much difference it makes in holding the deer.

cecil30-30

bobbuck":lmr6r31g said:
They are cutting a new power line from Sunbright across Burrville rd connecting the new substation on Brewstertown rd. It is going through the big pine plantation on Burrville Rd, that I think is a hunting lease, so if this is your lease you are going to have some great spots for food plots. Just make sure they cannot be seen from the road!
What I'm talking about in this post is private property. But I agree, those power lies are going to be spotlighted and road hunted to death.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I love first and second year growth on new power lines. After they've been there for a few years those seasons following summer time cuts are also good. I was always under the impression that TVA made a cut every 5 years but ours have been grown up for the last 7 or 8 years without any cutting; impossible to hunt.

Latest posts