Well Nevada was good to me

REN

Man what a trip. Day 1 hiked over 8miles which started at 7000ft of elevation and got as high as 8600ft during the 8.7 mile day. Didn't hear or see much sign so day 2 we started in a different location and found some birds right away. Called in 3 jakes first but then found 2 other Tom's down the canyon some.

Shifted and moved around using cover as much as we could. Seems Merriam gobble A LOT haha which is nice cause it was easy to know where they were while trying to adjust. Got close a few times but they just wouldnt commit. FINALLY at around 2pm I got the shot I was looking for and ended up being a perfect 28yd shot.

Just wild to me the environment they live in out there and how different they act and sound vs easterns. Those birds can cover A LOT of ground in a short amount of time. Very very few roost tree options and still can't figure out exactly how or where they roost given the terrain.

It's beautiful but man it's a harsh place to live. Also did end up seeing 7 elk and 8 mule deer while out hunting. Am super blessed and very thankful for the opportunity to go do this and it's a time I will never forget.

First Merriam checked off the list. Best part is ended up calling another one in this morning for my buddy I was with that lived out there and he also got his first ever Merriam/Nevada turkey and he has lived there his whole life and is a world class sheep hunter.

FFEFDEDA-8C78-494D-8420-818C7298A18D.jpeg

B6E7A283-D7D3-4755-8A8A-567E99F83321.jpeg

ED4C7034-7F61-4C00-83BA-961C8FFBE373.jpeg

022809B8-6369-4A81-A907-464CE88E8440.png

D757314F-CBEB-45DA-93A9-01F89FF9DC77.png

REN

Assuming that it was this year, and that those pictures are accurate.. How does a NR go about legally hunting there?

You have to apply in NV for all big game species (resident or non resident) and just hope you get lucky

You can also try and buy landowner tags or a heritage tag but those are very pricey. I'm not allowed to apply in Nv because I work for the company that does all their big game stuff but was fortunate to get a heritage tag through contacts I had there and was able to call it a "business trip" or I wouldn't have been able to afford it

DaveB

Congratulations!!!! I really like the color on that bird. How far North were you--that looks like the north-most portion of Nevada.

Headed to California from Colorado got pulled over by a NV Trooper and I figured I was in trouble because I was a little fast. He looked at my clothes and said ELK? I said yessir 5x5 Bull and a really nice mulie.

I popped the camper shell open and dragged antlers out and we yakked like best friends. He said watch your speed as he left.

Latest posts