Well just crap

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Wife calls and said the central unit was making a funny noise and was smoking, then kicked on and a big puff of smoke came out.

Dunno if it was SMOKE or just steam or whatever.
Told her to turn it off and I called my hvac guy.
I sure wish I knew something about these things, they are worse than a flippin boat. :(

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Count me in. Went to bed, all was good. Woke up this morning with the unit blowing but it was 57 in the house. Turned it off at the Thermostat and the unit wouldn't shut down. Unplugged it and am now waiting for HVAC guy to come out.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
Sounds like some of that "waterboy" luck if you ask me... :? So far so good at my house this year...knock on my head. ;)

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Well, I could have drove home and looked at it and fixed it but oh well, much better than it could have been.

Some kind of piece of foam had worked loose and got into the fan.
He removed it and took the water hose and cleaned everything out good and said everything else looked fine.
$75.00 service call is much better than it could have been and that gives us a little piece of mind for the upcoming cold weather.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
RUGER":2xft22i4 said:
Well, I could have drove home and looked at it and fixed it but oh well, much better than it could have been.

Some kind of piece of foam had worked loose and got into the fan.
He removed it and took the water hose and cleaned everything out good and said everything else looked fine.
$75.00 service call is much better than it could have been and that gives us a little piece of mind for the upcoming cold weather.

Ahhhh, no where near "waterboy" status! :tu:

Kimber45

Kimber45

You got lucky!

Ours is 10 yrs old and it’s a cheap Goodman too.. ONLY problem I’ve had was this past summer, had a capacitor fail.. Simple relatively inexpensive fix, but I’m expecting this Goodman to be on the downside of the hill at this point, likely to die at anytime.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Kimber45":2s5ovbyf said:
You got lucky!

Ours is 10 yrs old and it’s a cheap Goodman too.. ONLY problem I’ve had was this past summer, had a capacitor fail.. Simple relatively inexpensive fix, but I’m expecting this Goodman to be on the downside of the hill at this point, likely to die at anytime.

The last time I had this one worked on it was the motor, best I remember it was around $200.00
The time before that it was $1,200.

Unit definitely ain't old enough for this many repairs.
What I get for buying a high dollar Trane I guess.

U

Urban_Hunter

Just replaced our split unit last month. I've bought 3 houses in my life, all 3 houses had a complete failure on the HVAC system requiring replacement in the first 12 months. This one made it 11-1/2 [emoji1]

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

I've lived in 2 homes, replaced to units. First was a smaller unit in our old home. We lived there 10 years. Had to replace between year 6 and 7. But every spring it needs repaired. Closed on our house last July. Home was built in 2008 & early 2009. Wouldn't you know that unit crapped out on me this past Spring. Spent good Friday at home while they installed a new unit and took thousands of dollars from my savings account.

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
RUGER":1cfq4rtu said:
Wife calls and said the central unit was making a funny noise and was smoking, then kicked on and a big puff of smoke came out.

Dunno if it was SMOKE or just steam or whatever.
Told her to turn it off and I called my hvac guy.
I sure wish I knew something about these things, they are worse than a flippin boat. :(

The internet and You Tube are your friend

Kimber45

Kimber45

RUGER":tacug8yj said:
Kimber45":tacug8yj said:
You got lucky!

The last time I had this one worked on it was the motor, best I remember it was around $200.00

Crap that makes me inclined to buy a 2500 dollar Goodman again....however I hear the newer ones are less dependable.

M

Mike Belt

Knock on wood but both my sons are HVAC guys. No cost to me on service and get the parts at cost. One of the only things I can think of where I get a break.

Rebel

Rebel

Supporter
Strange but I was on my back underneath my unit cleaning the fins with a wire brush just last night. I have 5 rental houses plus the home I live in and I've learned the hard way that doing a little preventive maintenance (cleaning) goes a long way in keeping the unit from breaking down.

I've found that with the changing over from AC to heat you should do a good cleaning of the fins to both prevent a breakdown and also to make the unit run more efficiently and save you $ on month to month heating and cooling bills. If you can use a screwdriver and a wire brush, and a bottle of 409 or other similar cleaning product you can save yourself a lot of money.

According to a friend of mine who services HVAC units, most breakdowns are caused by not changing the filter often enough and not keeping the unit clean.

Tennessee280

Tennessee280

RUGER":26wvb88y said:
Kimber45":26wvb88y said:
You got lucky!

While Trane's are still decent, they are nowhere near what they used to be ever since Ingersoll-rand bought them out a while back.. cutting corners and making them cheaper like everything else these days im afraid