Weird blood trail....

P

pass-thru

I shot a doe just before dark with my muzzleloader. I could tell right away she was hit by the mad dash she did for the treeline, and she made a gurgly bleat.

She was about 150 yards out and had just come into the field with other does to feed.

I picked up the blood trail right away. At the point of impact there was brown hair, no white. The blooded trail started right away. It was bright red and not pinkish blood and almost looked to be pouring out. Seem al little dark in the grass but not when the trail crossed into the woods.... there was blood every where...on the ground and up against trees where she ran into them. Seemed high on the trees. Another 50 yards through thick stuff down a steep hill to a little draw. Expected to find her there but didn't. Found where she crossed and then up a hill on the other side, still pretty thick. Now the trail has thinned out. No blood on trees. Spots here and there but not a constant poor. It took me an hour to go the next 150 yards. She went up the hill out of thick stuff into open hardwoods on to a neighbors. I will need permission to track over there in the morning.

In my experience, deer very rarely run out into the open and die there. Never seen this much blood peter out. She never seemed to slow down or stop the 300 or so yards that I had the trail. Should be a fatal hit but interested to see where exactly she's hit.

S

scubacamper

How long did you wait before pursuing? (Were you maybe pushing her?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

pass-thru

I was on the trail within 10 minutes. But never bumped her. Still and quiet in the woods. No sign she slowed or bedded. The amount of ground I covered tonight, she probably covered before I had my gun lowered and climbed out of the stand. We'll see tomorrow what happens.

M

MickThompson

Sounds like you’ve about run her dry. Good luck with the trail.

M

Mike Belt

Good luck finding her. Sounds like you should. The blood trail some deer leave simply amaze me when you don't find them within a few yards. I shot a broadside deer one time stretched out broadside like a show horse 18 yards in front of me. A pass through shot and blood was pumping out of her on both sides. It looked like someone had walked along pouring blood out of a 5 gallon bucket until she hit the woods line and then nothing. I never found that deer and still am bambuzzeled.

Mudbone

Mudbone

I sure hope for your sake this doesn’t end up like my Deer the last week.
So weird how they can bleed so much and live or not be found.

Stalkhunter

Stalkhunter

It is strange Encore06 doe he shot yesterday blew blood everywhere and down 200 yards from where he shot her.
I opened her up lungs gone. Great entry and exit hole. Amazing how far they can go

P

pass-thru

I got permission last night to track on the neighbors. Was out there first thing this morning. There property is old growth....150 year old timber and you can see a few hundred yards.

I picked up the blood trail where I left off. It petered out not too far into the open timber. The last blood I found, I could see a long ways in the direction of travel. I searched their entire property, back onto mine, and never found the deer.

To recount, there was very heavy blood for 100 yards. Steady but not heavy for another 100 yards. Then a couple hundred yards where I had to look to find next blood. The deer went into and through very heavy cover without ever bedding, then moved into a large block of open hardwoods and from there I lost it.

When it was bumping into saplings early on, the blood marks were very high on the saplings. This leads me to believe that she was hit in the neck. That may account for the weird bleat she made right after the shot.

Unfortunately, I will never really know what happened unless she lives and shows up on camera with a visible injury.

The only other time I couldn't find a deer that left a lot of blood at first and then tapered out was 15 years ago. I shot a buck with my bow and the arrow zinged. The arrow hit his rear quarter. He hit a main trail and I tracked him for hundreds of yards before the blood tapered out. I found him a month later trailing a doe with a severe limp. Don't know where I hit this doe for sure but I imagine the main bleed clotted up and she was still covering a lot of ground at that point.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
pass-thru":l6y3pc0z said:
I was on the trail within 10 minutes.

IMO more deer are lost due to this than any other factor. I don't care if I shoot a deer through the heart at 50 yards with a 30.06 and see it go down, I am going to give that deer 30 minutes minimum. What's the rush? If you jump a hit deer up they will run forever. Most of the time I will pack up, climb down, back out, and go get the 4 wheeler before I ever approach the blood trail. I just don't understand the rush. Just because you believe you are moving quietly doesn't mean that downed animal won't hear you coming. Patience is the most important quality to possess in the woods, both before and after the shot.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
Spurhunter has sound advice. It is difficult to wait after the shot for any length of time with all the excitement, but it's the best course of action 99% of the time. The only time I can think of to go after one sooner would be if yotes were in the immediate vicinity, being vocal close by that is.

Snowwolfe

Snowwolfe

I almost lost a deer last year under the same circumstances. After shooting waited for a few minutes and found a pool of blood 2 feet across where it laid down. Tracked it 200 yard and blood trail became weaker and weaker until we lost it. Started making wide circles from the last blood spot and wife finally found it. The deer was shot through both lungs with a good sized exit hole. My guess was it totally bled out and was running full bore until it's body shut down from lack of oxygen.
From now on I plan on waiting about 10 minutes before trailing, might encourage them to lay down and bleed out.

S

scubacamper

It was crazy, the deer I shot Saturday ran, jumped over a fence, behind my ladder stand, then toward me. Crazy enough, she stopped right in front of my stand and decided to sit down. No joke, about 7 feet from the bottom rung.
One thing I noticed was she sat down. If I had immediately climbed down, she very well may have jumped back up and ran.
(Since she was right in front of me, I went ahead and gave her another shot to minimize any suffering).
I have no idea how long she could have sat there before expiring but I suspect it could have been a while.
Even after shooting the second shot, I still sat there, not making a sound for another hour or so (it was pretty cold and I felt it was okay to leave her).

Anyway, I’d echo what they said - let it ride. If for nothing else, you won’t have as far to go if they think they’re a safe distance away from whatever that was that hurt them...

H

huntintn

Spurhunter":2qru9dqh said:
pass-thru":2qru9dqh said:
I was on the trail within 10 minutes.

IMO more deer are lost due to this than any other factor. I don't care if I shoot a deer through the heart at 50 yards with a 30.06 and see it go down, I am going to give that deer 30 minutes minimum. What's the rush? If you jump a hit deer up they will run forever. Most of the time I will pack up, climb down, back out, and go get the 4 wheeler before I ever approach the blood trail. I just don't understand the rush. Just because you believe you are moving quietly doesn't mean that downed animal won't hear you coming. Patience is the most important quality to possess in the woods, both before and after the shot.
The worst that can happen if their dead is getting stiff. If their dead they'll wait on you. I always wait at least 30 minutes, was drilled into me when I first started hunting. Have I lost any ,yes, but sure I've let some die that would have ran along way.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Jaahspike

Jaahspike

One of my buddies always says that if they are dead now, they will be dead in 4 hours as well so no point in rushing. Sorry for the bad luck.

fairchaser

fairchaser

It’s easy for me to wait the minimum 30 minutes because it takes me that long to settle down after the shot. I usually get a cup of coffee, text my buddies, offer a prayer of thanksgiving and just enjoy the rare moment. Even if I can see the deer laying dead, I will pray that he didn’t suffer. If I don’t see the deer, I will make good mental notes on the last place I saw them, take a compass reading on direction of travel, assess the deer’s reaction to the shot, think about my sight picture of the shot and plan my logistics on getting him out. Then I climb down.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Could have hit her about anywhere really.
Sounds kinda like she was hit back a little and the gut plugged the hole up to me.

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
huntintn":1c3bdbtz said:
I always wait at least 30 minutes, was drilled into me when I first started hunting.

Me too. My dad and my other hunting mentors were sticklers for this rule. I believe most fatally wounded deer will lay down and die in a reasonable distance if left alone. However, a deer that is jumped or pushed will run a LONG way. Adrenaline, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk