Weatherby Element turkey

TheLBLman

There isn't a reputable ballistic expert out there that would agree with you.
Seriously? I actually thought you were just kidding, trying to get a rise from the Rockhound?

Beyond the basic ballistics, my experiences have shown the TSS provides much more uniform patterns with fewer "holes" in them than lead. Even more the case with the 20 ga.

This alone would seem to increase the odds for a clean 1-shot kill?

As an aside, hasn't TSS made it possible to have high probability kills with a .410 out to @ 40 yds, something most believe unlikely with lead shot?

knightrider

There isn't a reputable ballistic expert out there that would agree with you. If you want to believe the propaganda from the pixie dust makers, so be it.

I have zero time for such foolishness, so I am out. Thank goodness for the ignore feature on here.
There is absolutely no denying tss compared to lead, any one who isnt blind can see the advantage by looking at pattern pics

scn

There is absolutely no denying tss compared to lead, any one who isnt blind can see the advantage by looking at pattern pics
I've never said lead was superior to TSS.

I am a true believer in the pixie shot. I have consumed a double dose of the magic pixie dust koolaid.

I now own two tricked out 20 ga. turkey guns. I have more $$$$ invested in the magic pixie dust shells than I paid for all of my 50+ years of lead turkey shells.

I doubt my 12 ga turkey gun leaves the gun safe this spring. I fully agree that the 20 ga with the pixie shot gives me just as good a chance at killing a gobbler, and is a lot lighter to lug around.

But, when the conversation goes to the 20 pixie being more lethal than a 12 ga or 10 ga with lead, the laws of physics (and ballistics) say that is total bs.

Y'all have a great evening. I'm going to watch my Vol basketball game I missed this afternoon.

Rakkin6

So I am having trouble understanding the argument here. A 3" #6 1 7/8 ounce Winchester Longbeard has about 384 pellets in it. Each peer weighs in at about 11g/cc leaving the gun at 1050 fps. A 20 gauge 3" 1 5/8 ounce of #9 has roughly 590 pellets. Each pellet weighs 18g/cc leaving the barrel at about 1175 FPS. So not sure how ballistically a 12 gauge is superior. The TSS has more pellets, heavier and traveling faster. And watching some videos you can see the TSS penetrates farther than lead. Now I am no knocking lead and would shoot a longbeard xr in a heartbeat. But it is not ballistically superior to TSS.

Rockhound

Seriously? I actually thought you were just kidding, trying to get a rise from the Rockhound?

Beyond the basic ballistics, my experiences have shown the TSS provides much more uniform patterns with fewer "holes" in them than lead. Even more the case with the 20 ga.

This alone would seem to increase the odds for a clean 1-shot kill?

As an aside, hasn't TSS made it possible to have high probability kills with a .410 out to @ 40 yds, something most believe unlikely with lead shot?
He got pissy at me last year over the same thing. I'm not sure what his problem is, I guess he's to proud to admit he's wrong...

Rockhound

I've never said lead was superior to TSS.

I am a true believer in the pixie shot. I have consumed a double dose of the magic pixie dust koolaid.

I now own two tricked out 20 ga. turkey guns. I have more $$$$ invested in the magic pixie dust shells than I paid for all of my 50+ years of lead turkey shells.

I doubt my 12 ga turkey gun leaves the gun safe this spring. I fully agree that the 20 ga with the pixie shot gives me just as good a chance at killing a gobbler, and is a lot lighter to lug around.

But, when the conversation goes to the 20 pixie being more lethal than a 12 ga or 10 ga with lead, the laws of physics (and ballistics) say that is total bs.

Y'all have a great evening. I'm going to watch my Vol basketball game I missed this afternoon.
Ballistics don't really matter when it comes to shotshells. Wound channels don't kill turkeys, disrupted central nervous systems do.

But if you want to talk Ballistics, which shot is gonna carry velocity and penetration better? I'll wait for you to answer...

Rockhound

For those wandering, the law of physics and ballistics show the exact opposite. I can load a 1-3/8oz of tss #3 in a 20 ga that will retain a killing pattern and velocity (on coyotes of course) out to 90-100 yards, find me one lead load that can do that. Someone else here believes that since lead flattens or "mushrooms" its more lethal. Turkey hunting isn't a game of wound channels and it won't be unless rifles are legal weapons. The fact that tss retains velocity and patterns does make it ballistically superior to lead for the task at hand. But what do I know...

LongBranch470

I bought the element last year. I killed one Tom and was impressed. I typically hike long distances and the weight really helps on an extended hunt. I bought a Nitro choke a couple of months ago but haven't patterned it yet. Great gun so far.

SKFOOTER

I bought the element last year. I killed one Tom and was impressed. I typically hike long distances and the weight really helps on an extended hunt. I bought a Nitro choke a couple of months ago but haven't patterned it yet. Great gun so far.
What choke is the Element Turkey threaded for???

deerfever

What choke is the Element Turkey threaded for???
This is for 20 gauge Carlson chart, I am shooting this gun now with a Carlson 575. Gun is impressive. Holding great patterns with lead, I am about to shoot one of the old federal hvw #7 to see what it does.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230116-141050.png
    Screenshot_20230116-141050.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 33

deerfever

I couldn't stand it! I am real picky about patterning a gun and even though I know once I shoot certain shells they are pretty much the same , I always worry it will be a little different. Lasered 34 yards (we try not to shoot over, 35) Federal TSS 8/10, meadow creek mount/Swampfox Kingslayer. This Weatherby will shoot!

Attachments

• IMG_20230116_144154482.jpg
    IMG_20230116_144154482.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts