Weather forecast looks COLD!

Crosshairy

I have a duck hunt planned for Jan 4-6th in a flooded timber bottoms area. The weather from New Year's weekend leading into the hunt looks absolutely frigid for the Memphis area. This may be the first draw hunt I've had that is threatened to be ruined by a hard freeze-up. The forecast is showing temperatures around 8-10 degrees two nights in a row, with a 3-day stretch of temperatures that are below freezing.

In a hole with waist-deep or shallower water, I figure my odds are horrible of having water to hunt. The Mississippi River is a backup option, but our group is so big and boats so few that we don't have enough space for everyone to relocate (i.e. some folks are getting left behind). My boat is not big enough for the big river, so I'm on the list :(

Hopefully we'll be able to salvage the last couple days of the hunt as the thaw sets in during daytime. I think we'll be busting ice no matter what!

Grnwing

Yea, good idea to be making backup plans. Nothing like showing up to the timber to find it iced over. I am looking at my back up plans for Sunday and possibly Monday as well. Find that moving water and be SAFE!

Grnwing

Mike,

That reminds me of living in North Dakota and going to school when the temp was -40 and the windchill was -80. They ended up closing school shortly after getting there. After having sustained temps below zero, it is amazing how excited and warm 10 degrees feels.

Bgoodman30

Where is this timber? Deep? Close to river? Can you set ice eater? We killed them in a buck brush slew right of the river on Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts