• Help Support TNDeer:

We were soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines once - and underpaid

Appalachian American

Going through and cleaning out old stuff, just shredded all of my LES's from when I was in the service.

$448.80 per month in 1980 - took a 65% pay cut (not counting overtime) to go see the world.

Suffice it to say, we were all a bargain.
Amen. Underpaid. Undervalued. Under supported. Thanks for your service! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Mattt

Yup. Younger than you. Little over 720.00 a month. And another 300 baq. Good thing I was busy eating naan and whatever we could put on it

dralarms

Didn’t finish. My son got out about 5 years ago. Usmc. Had a wife at the time, 24,000/yr. no he does 6 figures and never stepped foot in a college. White privilege my *** he earned every dollar
Thank him for his service next time you talk.

KPH

Went in in 66 I don't think many of us who was under 4 gave it much thought how much we where paid. We got 3 meals a day and a place to sleep, some money in our pockets to jingle. When I went over seas I sure didn't give it much thought I always had enough for my needs and could send a little home.

BMan

Heck in 1979 the recruiter made that $400-something a month sound so sweet...
"You get 3 meals a day, clothing, housing, free medical & dental care, everything you need..." :D :oops:🤮

Don't forget the beachfront condos!

I wonder how many recruiters are now used car salesmen or telemarketers...

Bone Collector

Supporter
In the late 90's with COLA, in Okinawa, I was getting $1,280 (I think) per month as a Corporal.

I banked $3000 while over there, and thought I was super rich 😂

BMan

I'll have to ask my father what he was paid during his 8 years in the Navy back in the 50s. Probably not much, but he got a free college education - including medical school - out of the deal, so I'm sure he still believes it was worth it.

Yeah, the people who got GI Bill benefits had a good deal; a bunch of us late 70s - early 80s enlistees got stuck with VEAP which was a sucker's deal at best.

The Ol Professor

My oldest brother went in the Army in 1961 for 79-bucks a month. He liked to say that he was happy a beer was 10 cents at the PX

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts