Was I out of line (buying beer)?

FTG-05

How so? If you can read 11/27/197... what does anything else matter?
It's obvious you're missing the point, so allow me to make it as simple as possible:

In this case, age and numbers were irrelevant. Because of the stupid "rules", the requirement is to see all the numbers. Another way to put it: she could have been put into trouble if it was a sting operation with "deliberately" obscured numbers.

Clear? Or do I need to use smaller words and crayons.

Unfork your DL.

DayDay

Supporter
Haven't looked deep enough for the law but found this interesting from Retail Package Stores FAQs:

Q1: Am I required by state law to check the identification of a person purchasing alcoholic beverages?​

A: Yes. A retail package store must check identification for any person who does not reasonably appear to be an age of fifty (50) years or older in a face-to-face transaction prior to the sale of alcoholic beverages. The identification checked must be a valid (unexpired), government-issued (state, local, national, federally recognized tribe, or foreign) document that includes the photograph and birth date of the customer. Any identification that meets such requirements may be accepted by the retail package store. The sale of alcoholic beverages or beer to a minor or a failure to check for identification is a Class A misdemeanor under state law.

BlackBelt

ID's that are behind a plastic window in a wallet or billfold have sometimes had the numbers actually written on the plastic window well enough that it looks like the dates are on the ID, while in reality they are not.
It's an old trick, but it still works.
It could also cost an employee their job, and cost the store their permits as well as having to pay hefty fines.

MUP

Supporter
I find it odd that TN checks ID near 100% for alcohol sales and I'm fairly well traveled and have never seen this in other states. Is their data available that shows some positive result of this? Or is it just another guvment mandate to make some sheeple feel better about themselves?
Cuz most younguns in Tennessee r bottle fed korn liquor, makin'em look older than they actually is! 😂

JeepKuntry

I had a younger girl tell my handgun carry permit wasn't a valid form of ID. I could have shown her my driver's license at that point but we argued for a bit and I told her to get her manager. Manager comes over, tells her that is state issued, valid, and rung up my bourbon. Even though it's a requirement most liquor stores never ask for my ID.

WTM

Supporter
Wrong answer. The law says no such thing.
kind of yes and no. one of those things that TN lawmakers can screw up by passing amendments by not having to card someone that looks 50 years old. but for purchasing off premise beer, you still have to show some form of id.

57-5-301. (a) (1)The permit holder or employee shall make a determination from the information presented whether the purchaser is an adult. In addition to the prohibition of making a sale to a minor, no sale of beer for off-premises consumption shall be made to a person who does not present such a document or other form of identification to the permit holder or any employee of the permit holder; however, it is an exception to any criminal punishment or adverse administrative action, including license suspension or revocation, as provided for a violation of this section if the sale was made to a person who is or reasonably appears to be over fifty (50) years of age and who failed to present an acceptable form of identification.

BMan

kind of yes and no. one of those things that TN lawmakers can screw up by passing amendments by not having to card someone that looks 50 years old. but for purchasing off premise beer, you still have to show some form of id.

57-5-301. (a) (1)The permit holder or employee shall make a determination from the information presented whether the purchaser is an adult. In addition to the prohibition of making a sale to a minor, no sale of beer for off-premises consumption shall be made to a person who does not present such a document or other form of identification to the permit holder or any employee of the permit holder; however, it is an exception to any criminal punishment or adverse administrative action, including license suspension or revocation, as provided for a violation of this section if the sale was made to a person who is or reasonably appears to be over fifty (50) years of age and who failed to present an acceptable form of identification.

Thank you for confirming my statement. He made an absolute statement, which are rarely true.