Warmest hunting clothing

G

gobblesandgrunts

What’s warmest hunting gear, heard good stuff on the FL stuff but don’t know exactly how to layer it or what buy. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bowhunterfanatic

For me, it's a good merino wool baselayer, then a good set of fleece pants and jacket, topped with cabelas MT050 pants and jacket. If that doesn't keep you warm better find a buddy heater and some hot hands because I can't imagine any clothing being warmer.

E

eddie c

lots of options. one key factor for me is wind block. I can have a good thick coat on but if it doesn't block the wind it's useless to me. I can layer with less if the outside layer has a wind block.
if i'm active, sometimes I don't want that wind block. some times that wind block wont let you cool down to keep from sweating.

Gravey

Gravey

Supporter
I bought the First Lite Sanctuary bibs and jacket earlier this year and wearing them for the first time today. Wind chill was 25 this morning and I’ve stayed warm. Have under armor 3.0 on as a base layer and then fleece pants and quilted flannel shirt. Eased around about 11:00 and had to take the jacket off.

T

TNTreeman

Supporter
Can't say enough good about merino wool as a base. I wear it and fleece over that and a favorite pair of Cabelas coveralls I've had for 15 yrs. if I'm walking far I put those on at the tree. Good wool socks and muck boots plus my winter layer of fat and I never have a problem.

B

BlackBelt

Yep. Merino wool is like nothing else when the temps drop. Anything else will leave you wishing you had bought the wool to start with.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

I wear merino wool bases (ice breaker or first lite) and have a First Lite Uncompaghre jacket as an insulating layer, It is crazy warm and I need to pick up a pair of the pants.

I also ordered some Cabelas MT 050 White tail Extreme pants and jacket last week. I had NO idea how heavy and insulated they were so I returned them,but they looked like you could sit in 20 degree temps for days in them.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter
I ordered a pair of fleece pants from midway. Fraser ridge was the model. They are warm. Fleece inside and out. Sunday evening I wore just the pants and was fine. They are a little heavy but worth what I paid ($50)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jameseboy

The two best items for me are a good down vest, with that layered I keep my core warm, and a balaclava. That keeps my head warm keeps the cold off my neck and my face. The rest is layered poly wool and coat. If it’s really cold I wear bibs

D

dsa5455

Wick away moisture base layer. Bought some First Lite stuff which is really nice. Layer with whatever I have handy after that. I carry a army blanket (army green) with me. Wind is your enemy as mentioned above and this thing will stop most any wind I encounter. It also gives me flexibility to lay it across my lap around my legs and feet if needed. An in expensive neck gaitor is a must and something for your head. I use ear muffs that I found in a flea market for a dollar that really help with keeping ears warm.

S

scn

Supporter
Here is my choice of outerwear when the weather gets cold: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead- ... ts-for-men
They have a breathable membrane, so they are waterproof and windproof, but are still good about "breathing" to cut down on any sweating.

I second the merino wool for a base layer. However for cold sits, this is the best bang for buck I have found in long underwear:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... base+layer They aren't expensive, and are really warm. It is what the armed forces use in their cold weather system.

Another item that helps me a bunch is one of the windstopper buffs that doubles as a neck warmer and face mask"
http://buffusa.com/buff-products/neckwa ... tree-rt-ap

As has been posted, having a windproof outer layer is the key to staying warm in really cold weather. It gives you the ability to layer underneath according to your activity level and how cold it is. But, without the windproof barrier, the wind just sucks away your warmth.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
jameseboy":3pp96cbt said:
The two best items for me are a good down vest, with that layered I keep my core warm, and a balaclava. That keeps my head warm keeps the cold off my neck and my face. The rest is layered poly wool and coat. If it’s really cold I wear bibs

I purchased a couple of those extra long fleece balaclava's for this year's hunting. One of the best, inexpensive items I've ever gotten that's kept me cozy and warm so far. It covers all but my eyes, and cinches up close around my eyes even, but the extra length is what's really nice. It tucks right down into the collar of a pullover or hoodie, or your coat when zipped up.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Polypro base layer, then the ugliest, cheapest wool sweater you can buy from a yard sale or thrift store.

double browtine

double browtine

I second the military poly pro as a base layer, then some fleece pullover and pants. I have a pair of fleece wader pants that I wear under my waders for duck hunting. They are really warm. I just bought a new pair of bibs and jacket at Walmart a couple years ago for like $125. They are warm enough if you layer.
Best thing I ever owned was a pair of goose down pants and parka. Out grew them though. My dad has them now.