Walking in the Mud

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
My brother and I went out scouting today via the river and we found some great spots to deer hunt. The only problem is, with the water level low, we have to walk across some serious sloughs and mud flats with crazy sucking mud. This mud is the kind of stuff that almost came to the tops of my Lacrosse Burleys, and wanted to keep my boots everytime that I took a step.

Who has experience with this stuff, and what remedy (especially homemade) do you recommend to counter this issue. I thought about making some plywood "snowshoes" for this, but I was wondering if they would want to form a vaccum on top of the mud or something.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

TRIGGER

Poser said:
If you get snowshoes, you have to get the most expensive, heavy duty snowshoes that exist. Otherwise, you will break them. They do work well for distributing your load. Guys that hunt down in South AL, FL and LA do that all the time, especially for hog hunting.

From experience, getting a deer out requires that you butcher in the field -no way around it, so bring a backpack that will pack out deer quarters and note that this extra weight will cause you to sink more.

Sounds like experience to me.

Latest posts