Wading Duck Spots - Central TN

HottyToddy

First hunting season in TN, and I'd really like to get a duck hunt or two in now that deer season is coming to an end. I have 3 main problems:

1. I don't know hardly anyone in TN
2. I don't have a boat
3. I don't have a duck dog

So, I'm looking for areas I can wade to retrieve or set up. The two places I've online scouted are cheatham lake and duck River around yanahli. Are either of those areas wade-able? Does it depend on the specific spot you're going to? I'm assuming Percy priest and old hickory are too deep to wade.

Not looking for anyone to drop me a pin, but if someone can help we with a body of water that's wade-able, I'd greatly appreciate it. I work before sun up and past sundown during the week so I'm limited to weekends for scouting and/or hunting and those are running out quick.

Thanks!

AveryPC

There are a few blinds at Old Hickory that are "Wadable". I think the main one is blind M, someone correct me if I am mistaken, then there are a few that are close to boat access and public pieces. I have heard of people walking in at Lock 4 park, but I do not know if I would do that myself.

jkelley429

Several of the blinds at Cheatham can be waded (18, 24, 25, 39, 40, 42 are good options). Probably difficult to get into in the mornings on the weekend but afternoon hunts can be productive. There's also the Bluff Creek and Marks Creek wade-in areas in Cheatham.

Jack12

Hey Man, I was (and am) in a pretty similar boat as you. Ive found some alright wading spots around middle Tennessee to an hour and a half west of us. Shoot me a message if you want to get on some ducks before the season closes!

bluewinged46er

You are correct. I am still living in free TN at least in my mind.

I have drawn tier 2 blinds 3 times now, and it sure is nice to be able to do a morning hunt, go grab lunch, and then settle back in for the afternoon and not worry about whether the blind will get hopped in the meantime. We try to fully use the 2 days we are given, and from what I have seen so far, most of the tier 2s around us do as well. I sure would like a season draw at some point though...

Last edited:

Duck dogn

First hunting season in TN, and I'd really like to get a duck hunt or two in now that deer season is coming to an end. I have 3 main problems:

1. I don't know hardly anyone in TN
2. I don't have a boat
3. I don't have a duck dog

So, I'm looking for areas I can wade to retrieve or set up. The two places I've online scouted are cheatham lake and duck River around yanahli. Are either of those areas wade-able? Does it depend on the specific spot you're going to? I'm assuming Percy priest and old hickory are too deep to wade.

Not looking for anyone to drop me a pin, but if someone can help we with a body of water that's wade-able, I'd greatly appreciate it. I work before sun up and past sundown during the week so I'm limited to weekends for scouting and/or hunting and those are running out quick.

Thanks!
You and Jack 12 need to go with me next year I'm busy with work the rest of the year but I have boat and dog but hunt alone with my dog most of the time all the guys I know have high dollar leases I aint into

Jack12

You and Jack 12 need to go with me next year I'm busy with work the rest of the year but I have boat and dog but hunt alone with my dog most of the time all the guys I know have high dollar leases I aint into
The guys I know live too far away to be hunting every weekend – They're public land though. Appreciate the offer! Ill send you a message and we can try to set something up

Dbllunger

HottyToddy i'm going to assume you are a Mississippi guy. If you grew up and hunted ducks in the delta of MS like I did, you will be severely dissappointed in MidTN duck hunting. Still fun to go but it's a different deal around here. Good luck finding a spot that works for you and hopefully some ducks will cooperate.

HottyToddy

HottyToddy i'm going to assume you are a Mississippi guy. If you grew up and hunted ducks in the delta of MS like I did, you will be severely dissappointed in MidTN duck hunting. Still fun to go but it's a different deal around here. Good luck finding a spot that works for you and hopefully some ducks will cooperate.
Actually grew up and have only hunted in South Florida - also a pretty bad place to hunt ducks. Went to ole miss, and unfortunately didn't get in to hunting until I moved back to South Florida. Missed out on 4 years of good hunting.

Dbllunger

Actually grew up and have only hunted in South Florida - also a pretty bad place to hunt ducks. Went to ole miss, and unfortunately didn't get in to hunting until I moved back to South Florida. Missed out on 4 years of good hunting.
Yep the duck hunting in FL isn't great but the fishing is. Good to have another Reb on the board. Ain't many of us around here. I'm in middle Tn now but still travel back to Oxford on a regular basis to visit with my parents, sister, nephews and cousins.

TNSam

Hey Guys - i'm interested in this thread. I'm new to Nashville area and i'm looking for some spots to wade into. Anyone have any suggestions. My buddy and i were checking out Cheatham area this weekend. There were a couple spots where we could use a kayak to get into.

Please LMK - thanks

Latest posts