Video of a doe sleeping

tahtah

I used to spend a lot of time in Cades Cove photographing deer. When I could, I'd find a good buck and just tag along with him as long as he'd tolerate me.

I'd been photographing a really nice 8 pointer for a few hours and he had gotten very comfortable with my presence. We had made our way out of the cove and up the side of the mountain. He bedded down and I sat down a few feet away, occasionally snapping a pic.

To my surprise, he laid his head down and closed his eyes. I'd never seen that before. He never kept his eyes closed longer than a minute, but he'd snooze a minute, check things out then snooze another minute. He did that for about 30 minutes, then got up and moved on.

huvrman

I watched three does come in and bed one morning. As two would sleep, the other always had its head up. They alternated sleeping, and every twenty or thirty minutes each would stand, stretch, move a few feet, and lay back down. They did this from 8:30 until 11:00. At 11:00 they all got up, started slowly feeding, moving probably 50 yards until one got downwind of me. I've seen this one other time in the same area. Sure is fun to watch.

backyardtndeer

Watched a bedded doe earlier this season go from having her head up peaking out of her brier tangle hiding spot, to head tucked in for a few minutes. She would close her eyes at times. Was able to watch her even after I shot a buck that came in. She laid in her spot that morning for well over an hour, and didn't get up until my wife walked the trail to keep me from getting busted getting down.

Latest posts