Veterinarian story

Pic IN the Casa

A few weeks ago the 16 year old chihuahua that I was forced to share homes with went from cruising down hill to light speed down hill. Almost blind, couldn't chew well, couldn't digest well, lethargy, crap itself, etc...
Took it to the vet to have it euthanized. They tell me they have to do an exam. I said our mind is made up. They tell me it's to cover their butts (literally those words). I said then that part is free, right? The vet just laughed. After the exam he starts telling me what they can treat it with. I said the biggest issue is vision. He said a lot of pets are blind. Then started uncomfortably asking me do I want to start treatment. At this point my wife is crying wondering if we're doing the right thing.
I look at the tech and say For Gods Sake, We Have Made Up Our Minds. Then the vet starts apologizing.
I remember about 25 years ago I took a dog to get put down and they charged me $40.
This joint was $170!!! We had been loyal to them for years but that vet can kiss my butt.

kkh325

We have had numerous dogs over the years. All but one we had to have the vet to put them down. We were never ever charged by the vet ever. Also these both were two separate Veterinarians in different businesses. Also they both were very sympathetic and very compassionate while doing it.

UCStandSitter

Supporter
Last dog was put down by vet. No questioning and was very compassionate with the wife. Was the wife's idea. I always had taken out the pets myself previously. Something instilled in me by father and grandfather. If not for the wife, I would've done the same here. Hard for sure but, something I felt was my responsibility. Hard thing when that time comes. Seems difficult when a pet dies unexpectedly but, in a lot of ways, I think that may be better.

Sorry about your dog brother.

jb3

I forgot what our vet charged us to have one put down. I didn't mind paying and didn't seem too bad. It was after hours, she had to make up two injections. I also did let her dispose of him because I wanted to take no chances of some vermin digging him up in our backyard. We have too many armadillos, possums, skunks, etc...

backyardtndeer

Last dog we had put down was quite a long time ago and I don't remember how much it was. We did call about having mom's dog put down in 2017 and it was going to be around $150 if I remember correctly. I had to have my horse put down in 2010 and it didn't cost that much even with the farm call. Same vet we have used for a very long time, no clue why it has gotten so high, other than governmental regs involved possibly??? We just took care of mom's dog ourselves.

Chapman

Vets are not cheap. One of the reasons I no longer choose to have a dog is due to the high costs if they need treatment.

Snowwolfe

I would never expect a Vet not to charge for euthanizing a pet. They have overhead, staff, expenses to pay just like any other business.

It is like walking a tightrope when it comes time to decide what to do. Some people would spare no expense to extend their animals life while others know when it is time.

FLTENNHUNTER1

With all of our dogs, we soon realized keeping them alive was for our selfish benefit, not theirs. Sorry for your loss Pic. Times like these are rough. Last two we used a mobile vet that came to our house. This was really comforting for our family members to pass in the comfort of their home. They didn't know what was coming...

I buried them both in my yard deep in the ground.

Mattt

In all my years I’ve only had one put down by the vet. And it wasn’t voluntary she was under anesthesia for a mammary mass and it turned out to be size of a hotdog up into her shoulder and chest cavity. She didn’t have long left so he put her down. I brought her home and buried. I feel it’s an obligation I take on when I take the pup. Same with burying them. Lost my best friend last year while out of town. Drove the 5 hours home and put him in the ground. Piss on work it’s something I have to do. Same with horses.

Gravey

Supporter
We had to put one down in 2017 and think it was $125-150. Those of you that do it yourself, I wanna know how you do it but I don’t wanna know. I couldn’t do it but that’s just me. My little shadow was diagnosed with a brain tumor 6+ months ago and is doing good with the meds but I know it can change at the drop of a hat and when it does I’ll put her down.

DaveB

My vet charged me 40 bucks for writing a prescription. I am not a Vet fan.

When a previous cat came down with feline lukemia AFTER the shots, the Doc did not charge me.

My miniature doggie had a stroke in the kitchen. Mia the cat died in my arms, in part because the vet at the place on Summer is incompetent and a fool. He diagnosed her as being constipated when she was in the initial stages of a kidney disease that could have been treated.

jlanecr500

Our vet charges $125 if they dispose of the body and less if you take the body home. I don't mind paying for the animal to pass quickly without bloodshed or pain. The reason for the exam is that some people have a pet put down just so they don't have to deal with it. When I took our last poodle to be put down, they did an exam but quickly discovered a heart murmur. Now that we are at 7 dogs, the vet knows me as "The Brittany Guy". I dread the day when I lose another.

I had a Tom cat once that got shot. I took him to the vet and they said he had Feline leukemia and put him down for free. They were very disrespectful and rude so I never darkened their door again.

I wish Gatodoc were closer as I would rather go to his practice.

RUGER

Supporter
2-Step Enabled
My wife and I had this discussion last night.
Dunno what's gonna happen but in the end I can't justify crippling myself financially to prolong the life of an animal that is almost 12 years old.
One thing for sure I know I have never and could never do it myself, just not a visual I want in my head.
Hard enough letting them go.

I had an unwanted litter of puppies and carried like 5 of them to the vet to be put down.
I think he charged me $40 for all of them.

Mattt

My wife and I had this discussion last night.
Dunno what's gonna happen but in the end I can't justify crippling myself financially to prolong the life of an animal that is almost 12 years old.
One thing for sure I know I have never and could never do it myself, just not a visual I want in my head.
Hard enough letting them go.

I had an unwanted litter of puppies and carried like 5 of them to the vet to be put down.
I think he charged me $40 for all of them.
Feel your pain. To each his own but I feel I owe it to my old friend to end their pain just as they did for me for years. Sorry anyone has to deal with this.

John & Teresa - EWA

Getting close to having to make that final call for our 15 year old dog. He has slowed down very seriously, has a few raw spots where he constantly licks and nothing we've put on the areas has helped ... largely because he licks anything off, increasing digestive issues, hemorrhoids, and overall general aging issues that we all deal with. Times like this, wish we were like Dr. Dolittle so we could find out if he is in pain.

Falconi

Supporter
A few weeks ago the 16 year old chihuahua that I was forced to share homes with went from cruising down hill to light speed down hill. Almost blind, couldn't chew well, couldn't digest well, lethargy, crap itself, etc...
Took it to the vet to have it euthanized. They tell me they have to do an exam. I said our mind is made up. They tell me it's to cover their butts (literally those words). I said then that part is free, right? The vet just laughed. After the exam he starts telling me what they can treat it with. I said the biggest issue is vision. He said a lot of pets are blind. Then started uncomfortably asking me do I want to start treatment. At this point my wife is crying wondering if we're doing the right thing.
I look at the tech and say For Gods Sake, We Have Made Up Our Minds. Then the vet starts apologizing.
I remember about 25 years ago I took a dog to get put down and they charged me $40.
This joint was $170!!! We had been loyal to them for years but that vet can kiss my butt.

Exactly what happened to me. The poor dog was half brain dead by then. "No, I don't want to hear treatment options." The vet wasn't pushing it, though. Just covering their bases as you say.