Very cold weather

Gwtaylor

What is your opinion on hunting in very cold conditions? Wednesday in EastvTn is low if 16 and high of 29.will it be good hunting in the morning or would it be best to not hit the woods till later in the morning?
Thanks for your input.

Mike Belt

I can vouch for it being cold when your 25' up and in the wide open sitting in the wind with cold temps. If the deer are rutting I don't think it slows them down. I'm leaning towards deer feeding in the fields later in the day because everything is covered in frost early.

X-Tennessean

Roost 1":3hrjpjt1 said:
Deer usually won't move til the sun comes up and melts the frost. At least that is my experience on really cold days. I prefer 35 degree mornings.

I agree.
With temp like this I like to wait till 8:30-9 to go in and sit till dark.

Aquaholic

X-Tennessean":3c5sfgrm said:
Roost 1":3c5sfgrm said:
Deer usually won't move til the sun comes up and melts the frost. At least that is my experience on really cold days. I prefer 35 degree mornings.

I agree.
With temp like this I like to wait till 8:30-9 to go in and sit till dark.
Have to disagree ... Was in the stand before sunrise this morning ... Had 9 deer come through right before Shooting time ... They saw 3 different small buck 20 mins later ...

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

cbhunter

Roost 1":3qo542hk said:
i agree x10000. I have never seen many deer early morning when it's this cold. Matter of fact, I didn't even hunt the mornings this weekend. Maybe I'm just getting old lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

I like some CRP in Mid to late morning when it's really cold. They seem to like warming up in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Andy S.

Generally speaking, I like to think deer move better later in morning, midday, and late afternoon when it's bitter cold. With that said, it all depends, as I know several hunters who saw LOTS of deer from 6:30 - 2 yesterday with few breaks between sightings, and it was 20/45 for daytime temps. It was sunny, so I'm sure that helped a lot.

DRSJ35

sometimes i wonder if they have to move to keep warm.Laying on the ground probably isnt very warm.

Winchester

I love the colder temps here, which 16 deg isnt really cold in a deers world, especially when it warms up above freezing in just a few hours. I have had really good results hunting the very coldest days of the Fall, before its regularly cold more like deep winter conditions. The deer seem to love cold clear mornings! High winds a different story and will stimy movement many times.

Spurhunter

Roost 1":1tasr8wd said:
My thoughts exactly. People typically disagree with me but when the temps are low 20s and below I never see a deer until the sun gets up a little. Say 830 or so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MUP

Spurhunter":zb2mq1te said:
Roost 1":zb2mq1te said:
My thoughts exactly. People typically disagree with me but when the temps are low 20s and below I never see a deer until the sun gets up a little. Say 830 or so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Same for me on the 8:30 time, but I still need to be in the stand well before that to have everything settled down by that time.

DRSJ35

I can deal with cold.I know Deer can handle it with no problem.I just really hate the wind myself.Seem's like i just cant get warm.

Latest posts