• Help Support TNDeer:

Ventless Gas Fireplace

Daniel n

Active Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
1,329
Location
Hamilton County
We are thinking about installing a ventless gas fireplace in our house. Has anyone installed one in a home that doesn’t currently have a fireplace? Any suggestions or things to avoid? Any pictures of completed work?
 

FTG-05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
2,233
Location
TN
I had one installed in my house in Madison back in the mid-90's. One of the best things I ever did for our house. 2 story, +3200 ft sq and we pretty much heated it with just the vent free logs. The only exceptions were when the temps got into the 20's or 10's, then we'd have to run the aux heaters upstairs (read electricity, read $$$).

One non-negotiable:

CO monitors and detectors. NO EXCEPTIONS!.
 
Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

 
 

eddie c

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2001
Messages
9,384
Location
jackson, tn
I have a set in my house we haven't used in 15 years but I have gas central unit anyways.
My daughter thought it was neat to lay on the floor and read a book in front of it while in her shorts in the middle of winter.. My wife pulled that plug when she found out how much that ran the gas bill up.

I suggest getting a thermostat that will automatically shut off at certain temperature.
 

bigtex

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
3,387
Location
Brush Creek
We put one in when we built our house over 20 years ago. Unfortunately we don't have natural gas out here in the boonies. Ours run off propane.
We don't use ours much but they are a great source for when the power goes out.
 

Tn_Va_Hunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2008
Messages
3,410
Location
SW VA
We have a set in the living room and also a wall mount in the den to help heat in the winter. The wife’s uses it all the time. You can tell a difference. Either way your paying for electricity or propane. But the gas definitely warms
The house up better. The downside is the dry air causes my son a nose bleed here and there. So we run a humidifier in his room
 

Gravey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
28,549
Location
Christiana (Rutherford County)
We have 2 but they were done when the house was built by original owner. We bought it a year and a half ago and I can’t get either to light for nothing. I’ve bled the lines and bled some more with no luck. Had others try to. Thinking the regulator valve may be bad. They’re linked to a propane tank outside that runs nothing but them.
 

TnKen

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2008
Messages
214
Location
Nash, tn
I really like ours. Takes the chill off in the mornings and don’t have to turn up the heat. Also run them in the evening before bed, and the main heat doesn’t come on until around 2 in the morning.
 

Chaneylake

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
39,598
Location
on the wings of a snow white dove
We have 2 but they were done when the house was built by original owner. We bought it a year and a half ago and I can’t get either to light for nothing. I’ve bled the lines and bled some more with no luck. Had others try to. Thinking the regulator valve may be bad. They’re linked to a propane tank outside that runs nothing but them.
blow the pilot light area out with a can of key board cleaner.
one little speck of dust will stop the pilot light from coming on.

I have cleaned the pilot light area before with a small diameter rubber hose and physically blowing throuth it
 

Methane

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Messages
702
Location
Franklin, TN
My house had one in it when we bought it. Didn’t use it for years, finally decided to start using it a couple years ago. Heats great, runs on natural gas. When I tried to get it to light when I decided to use it, I couldn’t get a good pilot light. Turns out that the Thermopile was bad (not the thermocoupler, just the thermopile). Super easy fix with a $10 part. As someone else said, I keep several CO detectors around and have never had an alarm. Good luck!
 

BMan

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
17,565
Location
Middle TN
We have one downstairs, and it has saved us at least twice when our power was down for more than 24 hours and the temps were in the teens. Also nice for ambiance in the evenings.

Strongly encouraged.
 
Last edited:

Antler Daddy

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jun 4, 2020
Messages
726
We have one and never use it. It heats the house to hot for me.

Somebody on here once talked about a lifespan on the logs. I believe it was like 15 years and that if you used them after that, then your ceiling would be ruined. I have not turned on since that time.
 

LanceS4803

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
5,491
Location
Middle TN
I really like ours. Takes the chill off in the mornings and don’t have to turn up the heat. Also run them in the evening before bed, and the main heat doesn’t come on until around 2 in the morning.

Check this guy's video out.

 

41Magnum

Active Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2020
Messages
581
Location
The Birthplace of Davy Crockett
Love ours. Had ours for over 20 years. Just clean the pilot every year and vacuum out any dust that accumulates over the summer months or you can get the gas company to come out every year and service them for you.
 

FTG-05

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
2,233
Location
TN
blow the pilot light area out with a can of key board cleaner.
one little speck of dust will stop the pilot light from coming on.

I have cleaned the pilot light area before with a small diameter rubber hose and physically blowing throuth it
This. I probably had to do that maybe 4-5 times the 15 years I lived in the house with the vent free logs.
 

jlanecr500

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Joined
Jul 16, 2015
Messages
1,539
I put a set of logs in my fireplace 25 years ago. Blocked the top of the fire box and mortared a stepping stone on top of the chimney. We use them occasionally.
 

Hunter 257W

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
10,354
Location
Franklin County
blow the pilot light area out with a can of key board cleaner.
one little speck of dust will stop the pilot light from coming on.

I have cleaned the pilot light area before with a small diameter rubber hose and physically blowing throuth it
Have had same experience. Now if my pilot light won't stay lit at the beginning of cold weather I don't bother to try anything else and get the can of compressed air out and give it a few shots through the pilot light holes. Works every time. An amount of dirt that you can't even see will cause trouble so this is something you want to do if you are having this problem no matter how clean it might look.
 

Latest posts

Top