Venison Daube: French venison stew

TAFKAP

It's become a ritual. For 7 years running, this has been the Marathon Eve dinner on Friday night before the Memphis St. Jude Marathon weekend. Since I've not yet had a chance to deer hunt this year, this is the first one I've had to make from the freezer. Either way, the house smells delicious. I've modified the recipe a bit over the years. The recipe doesn't call for browned meat, so I brown half of it for some flavor depth. It also doesn't specify salt, so I weigh 10g of salt per pound of meat. It's made a huge difference. The meat has been dry as a bone before....last year, it wasn't. We serve ours with baked sweet potatoes.....we're going for long-term nutrition here. And I omit the olives because most of the family doesn't care for them.

We use Famille Perrin Côtes du Rhone as our French wine. I get two bottles.....one for the marinade (and a glass or two while prepping), and one for sharing the night of the dinner.

http://www.startribune.com/recipe-venis ... 233316921/

78587562_987405599665_1276912782331084800_o.jpg

TAFKAP

Here's how it looked served for dinner on Friday night. We serve it over sweet potatoes for marathon nutrition considerations. I made some leftovers last night, and served it over rice. As for flavor and texture, the rice is much better.

79003053_988146978935_5632935185927372800_n.jpg

TAFKAP

WTM":3ao2hn2n said:
bookmarked. question, what purpose is the parchment paper if there is a tight fitting lid? does it keep it from browning on top or something?

The extent of my knowledge is that parchment paper prevents the stew from achieving a rolling boil, and preventing liquid loss and browning on top.

TAFKAP

WTM":1caqdipi said:
cool thanks, looks good. the sweetness of sweet potatoes goes well with venison. i use it in massaman curry instead of white potatoes.

It does, but the sweet slightly clashes with this dish. The rice really was better. But again, nutrition.....

Latest posts