Velvet Hunt (TN)

Roadracer6

Can somebody explain to me why the velvet hunt does not include public land? Ever since they have started this hunt, I haven't met a single person that could explain to me why they don't allow this on public land. I would love to have an opportunity at a velvet deer but don't have the ability to hunt on private land.
Thanks in advance

TAFKAP

Have you asked TWRA? What unit are you in? Unit CWD in west TN includes "SOME" select public land, and also allows firearms during the August velvet hunt.

The Hatchie National Wildlife Refuge is one of those included in the "some" public lands. Their hunting brochure lists it as being open per TN regs.

Roadracer6

Have you asked TWRA? What unit are you in? Unit CWD in west TN includes "SOME" select public land, and also allows firearms during the August velvet hunt.
I'm in Mid TN, so none of the wma's I hunt allow it. Just trying to understand the why.

TAFKAP

I'm in Mid TN, so none of the wma's I hunt allow it. Just trying to understand the why.

The Hatchie NWR is in the middle of CWD territory, so they're opening up to cull as many out as possible.

As for the "why not" to the rest of the public lands, I'm sure it's a complex matter of trying to limit the number of folks out chasing deer in 90°+ heat, tick infested woods, snake bites, and getting lost in heavily forested areas.

And maybe the state just doesn't want a bunch of people killing every spike in velvet that's out there.

Roadracer6

The Hatchie NWR is in the middle of CWD territory, so they're opening up to cull as many out as possible.

As for the "why not" to the rest of the public lands, I'm sure it's a complex matter of trying to limit the number of folks out chasing deer in 90°+ heat, tick infested woods, snake bites, and getting lost in heavily forested areas.

And maybe the state just doesn't want a bunch of people killing every spike in velvet that's out there.
Well, squirrel hunters are out in the same weather, so I highly doubt that is it, but who knows. I'm hoping to get some answers from them soon.

fairchaser

I'm guessing it's just part of their process to gradually step into anything new. The velvet hunt is not that well attended but there was a group of hunters wanting it and TWRA decided to try it. First it was archery, then eventually it moved to any rifle. Anything to sell licenses and keep the hunting public interested. I see it as a novelty that not many states allow.

Andy S.

First it was archery, then eventually it moved to any rifle. Anything to sell licenses and keep the hunting public interested. I see it as a novelty that not many states allow.
To be clear for those who do not know, the majority of the State (83 of 95 counties) is still archery only, private land only, for the August velvet deer hunt. Make sure you reference page 18 of the 2022 H&T Guide for your county and unit. If you deer hunt in Unit CWD August 26-28, fluorescent orange is required.

Roadracer6

Update, I got a response finally the other day, and let me say, I've never heard more of a BS answer then what I got. I honestly lost so much faith in the twra after reading the response I'm speechless. In a nutshell, we don't want to impede on the opening squirrel season hunters with people hunting velvet deer 🤣🤣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️....WTF, I mean seriously?? I asked if we can move the rabbit/duck/goose seasons because they impede on my deer hunting.....wow, I mean, wow. I was really hoping for an explanation that had to do with population control of deer....or some logical reason. I don't know what to say, but they have noted my request 🤷‍♂️.

Roadracer6

This was not a season requested by TWRA. It was done by the Commission. You need to be directing your questions to the Commission on the whys.
Good to know, I know I emailed 2 different departments and so far after about a month only twra has responded. I'll have to go back and see if the other went to the commission.

TheLBLman

Let me say, I've thought from the "get-go" the creation of the "trophy" velvet buck hunt in August would overall do more harm than good, and I still think that.

If my memory serves correct, it was mainly a single West TN commissioner pushing for the August velvet hunt. Whether it was ever allowed on public WMAs was of zero concern to him.

And as others have stated, this was not a recommended idea of any TWRA deer biologist.

IMO, it is a legitimate argument that this August hunt, same weekend as the long-term traditional opening of squirrel season, pushes more hunters away from squirrel hunting than actually participate in the "trophy" velvet buck hunt. This adds to the reasoning of NOT having this on most public lands. Never mind that a super-majority of TN's deer hunters have ZERO interest in deer hunting in August.

The "trophy" velvet buck hunt also doesn't bode well with the non-hunting general public, a majority of whom accept other people deer hunting so long as someone eats the venison, but frown on any type "trophy" hunting. I suspect most of the "velvet" bucks will not be consumed by humans. We may disagree with non & anti-hunters, but they greatly outnumber us, and ultimately, the future of hunting will likely be in the hands of non & anti-hunters. Actually, it already is.

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Who would have thought that the commission would screw something up.

Hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Kinda sucks when it affects something you love.
Unlike the Waterfowl screw up where a BUNCH of people just said the waterfowl hunters were just crybabies.

Congrats, welcome to the club and good luck.