Velvet buck

Chickenrig

Donwn here in Bama while ya'll are thinking about the upcomming spring turkey season we in Bama are in full swing of the rut . Went to my stand last night in hopes of killing a big 6 pnt thats been a regular . All was quiet throughout the evening without a deer sighting untill right at last light. I looked down and saw something white move not 10 yrds from my tree. I quickly realized it was aracked buck looking up at me . He tried the old head bob thing to get me to move . When that didn't work he figured it was safe to proceed onward. He started slipping on up the lane and made a right turn into the pines. I knew he would disapeer in a flash so i pulled on up on him and let him have it in the high shoulder where he dropped in his tracks. My buddy was hunting not 500yrds from me and heard me shoot. He texted me and asked if i got the big 6. I replied that it would be a suprize to the both of us . He made his way over to my location and we proceeded to walk to the deer. What a suprize when we shined the light on him !!!!! I rolled him over and noticed that his testies were not there, just a small sack that was empty. I knew right then why he was still in full velvet but hard horned. We loaded him up and the rest is history . Not what i expected but a great end to a hunt none the less.

Attachments

• 45CE3973-BB2B-447A-8CDF-537336812A9A.jpeg
    45CE3973-BB2B-447A-8CDF-537336812A9A.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 223

BuckWild

If you are going to get it mounted, take it to someone that is familiar with velvet mounts.

I killed an 8 point in full velvet several years ago on a December Muzzleloader hunt. Same deal, he had a shriveled up sack.

There will be shrinkage on the rack but it can be minimized.

Stumpsitter

Donwn here in Bama while ya'll are thinking about the upcomming spring turkey season we in Bama are in full swing of the rut . Went to my stand last night in hopes of killing a big 6 pnt thats been a regular . All was quiet throughout the evening without a deer sighting untill right at last light. I looked down and saw something white move not 10 yrds from my tree. I quickly realized it was aracked buck looking up at me . He tried the old head bob thing to get me to move . When that didn't work he figured it was safe to proceed onward. He started slipping on up the lane and made a right turn into the pines. I knew he would disapeer in a flash so i pulled on up on him and let him have it in the high shoulder where he dropped in his tracks. My buddy was hunting not 500yrds from me and heard me shoot. He texted me and asked if i got the big 6. I replied that it would be a suprize to the both of us . He made his way over to my location and we proceeded to walk to the deer. What a suprize when we shined the light on him !!!!! I rolled him over and noticed that his testies were not there, just a small sack that was empty. I knew right then why he was still in full velvet but hard horned. We loaded him up and the rest is history . Not what i expected but a great end to a hunt none the less.
I did the same thing. Back probably 15 years ago. 8pt on New Year's Day. Came walking up the middle of a logging road about 7:00 in the morning. I knew there was something off about him when I shot him. Just like you nothing in his sack.

Attachments

• 0502CB89-5982-433F-95CD-4B0779F4D0E9.jpeg
    0502CB89-5982-433F-95CD-4B0779F4D0E9.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 3EC55308-1164-4051-B304-0FDE3207E740.jpeg
    3EC55308-1164-4051-B304-0FDE3207E740.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts