Vacationing Outer Banks...fishing?

P

poorhunter

First vacation for me and the family in four years, and we can’t wait! Going to be staying in Kitty Hawk the first week of May, and mostly will just be relaxing and looking around at different things, but I’m thinking of a little surf fishing or kayak fishing. I haven’t fished the surf (heck, I haven’t even fished for 10 years probably) but we’d love to catch something and put it on the grill just to do it. Any advice, tips etc?

duckriver

duckriver

I went to OBX with a buddy out there earlier this year. We didn't fish from the shore but went out with a his room mate from when he as in college. If the waves are like they were when I was there idk if you'd ever catch anything from land lol.

It was a interesting trip. Lots of fun except the fact a construction crew cut the main power to th island about a hour before we got there and had the spend 3-4 days without much power

PickettSFHunter

PickettSFHunter

Supporter
The Oregon Inlet bridge used to be awesome fishing directly from the bridge. I’ve heard they repairs the holes under the bridge that the fish were living in but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

DaveB

You need to find out the approximate expected dates for the kingfish migration north.

You need a real boat, get a charter. The ocean is no place to kayak. Inland waterway, mangroves, okay. Not the open ocean.

If the kings are running you will get some great eating. Be sure you save enough to smoke about 50 pounds. Yeah, its good.

Zulu

Zulu

Supporter
I practically grew up on the Outer Banks. Surf fishing is a blast ... in May the smaller (ie better tasting) Bluefish are starting to run, and the Croaker (great eating fish) is excellent. You can also stumble into flounder about any time. It's also the very beginning of the Spanish and King Mackerel, but those are tougher to catch out of the surf.

About 90 minutes south of Kitty Hawk is Cape Point (near Buxton) which is the Holy Grail of OBX surf fishing. I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie; those boys take their fishing REAL seriously, and aren't real understanding of crossed lines and the like. It IS worth taking a look, though.

If you seriously think you want to surf fish, I'd recommend getting your rod and reel before you go so you can practice. Flinging a surf rod is harder than it looks, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

Have fun.