uway trail cameras

BSK

Some have reported real problems with them. If I remember correctly, Wes had about a 100% failure rate with his Uway cameras. Personally, I have not experienced that problem. Now all of my NT50Bs have some wierd little glitches, but they all function well enough that they do what I need them to do. So far, none of my NT50Bs have failed and some are on their second year of service (and I run my cameras from August through January).

The most common glitch I've experienced are the burst-mode pictures not working properly (on occassion, the camera only takes the first picture in a series but none of the burst-mode pics). All of my Uways do this from time to time. I've also had several cameras reset their date and time back to the default when taking a picture. Both of these problems might be due to the fact that I don't use the recommended NiHm batteries. I use standard alkeline batteries. Because of the number of cameras I have, buying enough NiHm batteries to have two sets for each camera (one set being charged while the other set runs the camera) would be prohibitively expensive.

Hogbear

I've had one NT50B out continuously for a year now and it still works great. Only brought it in for 2-3 days when it had some condensation problems when we had snow and big temp swings in Jan. No problems since then. Bought a second one this summer and it's doing good so far. I use the NiMH low discharge batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/AccuEvolution-Pre ... B00124HX8A

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

X-Tennessean

I have had excellent picture's from mine and just recently tried out the video mode. I posted a couple sample's of the problem I had on video.
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthr ... ost2553463
Some of the video's were VERY short and in black in white in the middle of the day when they should have been in color, not sure what is going on but will do further test runs.
As far as customer service with HCO, I have had nothing but top notch !! I ordered a large quantity for friends and fellow co-workers and I guess they thought I was there rep when they had an issue !! I took care of correspondence for getting their cams sent back for replacement or repair and had nothing but great experiences.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
If I remember correctly, Wes had about a 100% failure rate with his Uway cameras.
That be correct regarding the first four units from October 2010 thru early Spring 2011.

My experiences totally regarding the NT50B.
Seems many users have had better experiences with the NT50.
My 5th & 6th replacement units arrived this Spring, and both appear to be somewhat working. The only thing good I have to say is that they were repeatedly replaced under warranty (usually taking about 2 weeks, i.e. send bad one in, get replacement back).

I'm just "over" spending much more time "messing" with them. After repeatedly trying to registered these final units for their warranty (their website was down for months), finally decided my time was worth more than their warranty. NT50B #5 & #6 will probably just end up being thrown in the trash.

Following my Fall 2010 experiences with Uway and Bushnell, I've lost much of my enthusiasm for using trail cams, period.
My advice is to particularly avoid any "new" version of any cam made in China. Better yet, don't buy any cam made in China. Maybe better to just have a single Reconyx than several unreliable pieces of junk.

Not sure I'd recommend them today as a new purchase, but I've had long life and been happy with my old Leaf River models. IMO, the best value in trail cams at present is with the Homebrews. You can about purchase two Homebrews for the cost of one Reconyx. The Homebrews many not have all the capabilities of a Reconyx, but will take better quality pics.